My first year of study has been primarily successful, with plentiful primary and secondary research that led me to new experimental practices and research. My use of research and practice started to appear as the second project began, the “paint” project, I approached these paintings fluidly and experimentally and this helped me with my work as I had no expectations of what I wanted to create. I felt that I started to create a style within these paintings and this translated a lot in my later projects, especially the use of line and the cold green and blue colour pallet I adapted.

“Paint” Project, experimental paintings.

Further Experimentation

The third project, “Contemporary Portraiture and Expanded Narrative” included much more secondary research as I researched artists with particular sculpting styles to help influence my work. This project also came from a lot of my past research in character illustration and this inspired my final head sculpture. From my past studies of illustration and character designing, I enjoyed giving my character “unnatural” features that weren’t proportionally correct but allowed me freedom to be creative and sculpt naturally.

Final head sculpture.

Playing with ideas

The final project “Light” had both primary and secondary research throughout it. I began very experimental, painting, sketching and writing a lot. I played with a lot of mediums with different references and ideas. I used acrylic paint, pastels, oil pastels, film photography, photograms and I experimented with using text on top of my paintings and including inserts from my journals. All this eventually led me to my final piece. I spent a lot of time researching for this project, in the library reading about spirituality and religion, or looking online and in exhibitions for artists that inspired me. I learnt about a few new artists who I have come to love, such as Hans Emmenegger and Loriann Signori, whose work I find inspired me during my project and continues to inspire me.

“Light” Final Piece

Fondation de l'Hermitage - Hans Emmenegger (1866 – 1940)

Hans Emmenegger, “Waldinneres”, 1933

Loriann Signori, “circumfluent”

Reflective Blog / Anna's blog by is licensed under a