“Light as an Expressive Medium”, was the final project of first year. For my initial idea, I was exploring physical and non-physical light, combining painting with some form of writing. The non-physical writing would relate to religion, faith, information and journaling, this linked to my current interest in writing.

The first piece I made for this project was an experimental painting where I explored my idea of layering writing on top of a painting, I initially wanted to do a landscape but later changed my idea.

Initial idea development:

Following this, I started to experiment with a portrait, using acrylic and oil pastel.

I took my ideas from both experimental pieces and began another acrylic painting on canvas. I also began to play with the idea of painting auras, in theme with light.

I felt that this painting was becoming stiff, so I started another painting, following a similar style, using acrylic on board.

Finally, I decided to move on from the idea of painting a portrait and I went back to my original idea of a landscape. I enjoyed the process of using watered-down acrylic on board and slowly building up layers.

This painting began with just a playful use of colour, I had no plan or even an idea for what it would be. The painting is inspired by the lake behind my house, I constantly had a very vivid image of this lake and naturally, I started to create an image that resembled that. Because of the use of the watered-down acrylic paint, I had many drips going down the board and I started to see figure-like shapes form. Using pastels, I started to lightly draw the figures I saw as they danced along the water. I layered up a lot of small details with pastels and oil pastels. I exhibited the painting alongside my film photography I took of the lake and I included a page of my journal, which speaks about light and home. I believe this painting went very positively, although I had a lot of experimentation and changed my idea a lot, I am satisfied with the final outcome.

Film Photography:

Images from my photogram workshop.

Artist Inspiration:

Loriann Signori –

I love the use of pastel in Loriann Signori’s work and how it creates a hazy and magical look to all her work. I also had similar interests with nature imagery.

John O’Grady –

John O’Grady’s use of colour pulls me in, the bright colours appear almost psychedelic and yet serene.

Hans Emmenegger –

Hans Emmenegger’s work is by far my favourite, the way he paints trees and light is so captivating as he creates a whole magical world through his work.