Textiles- Project 2- Materials and the possibilities.

To kickstart project 2, I have included below my initial thoughts and ideas for the theme ‘Structured Pattern’. My research has developed over time, coming together through artist inspiration and scientific backing to help me understand ways in which patterns and structures in nature can be replicated through a designers toolkit. Inspired by the undulating forms of Iris Van Herpen’s fashion designs and Suzanne Lee’s interesting explorations with living organisms, my research led me to discover how we can look to nature for inspiration and build from this. Please visit this link to view my full research so far. Written and Visual research Project 2

Research Board - Structured Pattern
Research Board – Structured Pattern

For this brief, I initially looked at the design of the current Smith and Nephew wound management range, which featured bandages, plasters and support braces for a variety of different skin conditions, injuries and medical purposes. Smith and Nephew’s aim is to take the limits off of living and to improve life and performance.

I was interested to discover that they used silver as an antibacterial quality in their dressings. This got me thinking about how natural fibres and natural dyes could be used to give anti-bacterial qualities to the bandage. The dressings also required high absorbency, conformability, self adhesion, waterproofing and flexibility in order to ease application for the patient. Clearly, it’s very important to be meeting the needs of the patient through a comfortable and durable bandage to avoid discomfort or embarrassment, for example if the bandage was to fall off, get damaged or leak.

Pictured above to the left is the result of using silver as an anti bacterial on a bacteria cell. The cell has destroyed itself and has started to destroy its own cells after being effected by silver. The second photo shows the structured pattern of silver as an element.

This got me thinking about the possibilities of using natural fibres and botanical dyes, particularly those high in tannins, to be used as bandages. Plants like onions and blackberry leaves are high in tannins, giving them an antibacterial quality. In addition, hemp fibre also has anti-bacterial qualities which could be of use. Perhaps there was a way to use nature as a source for medical purposes, however because of the large yield of natural dyes required for a medical purpose, perhaps this wouldn’t be the most practical. But certainly, a washable and eco-friendly option for something like a bandage seemed a possibility. I have collected some hemp material and foraged for natural dyestuff, including some experimentation with nettles and tannins which created an aromatic experience through the textile, which I also thought could be interesting to explore in terms of health and wellbeing.

From researching Mannel Torres invention of Fabricon, the spray on fabric and looking at webs in nature, I got excited about the medical applications. Because the spray on fabric is contained in an aerosol can, the fabric is completely sterilised. In addition, Mannel talks about the use of drugs, medication and nano technology as a possibility of being added to the aerosol can and sprayed on, almost then working similarly to a nicotine patch, where the medication is absorbed into the skin. This linked back to my thinking into how natural dyes and tannins can be used as a natural remedy through anti bacterial properties and how there seemed now potential for the two to crossover. I imagined a spray on fabric for medical use, using natural fibres and dyes to limit the environmental impact, whilst also providing a sterile and antibacterial material, that also had aromatic healing properties to give.

« »