Continuing with my research I found some guidelines from UoE how to improve well-being. Among others I focused on the one “keep learning” and I was trying to find some activities that student could take part in in my student centre. I really like the idea that by participating in them and at the same time socialising with fellow students they positively influence their mental health. I really liked the ones I found that are linked to connecting people to nature through artistic activities like painting with flowers, pressing them, various crafts with rocks or building terrarium and also may be my starting point in choosing what am I going to design.

I was also thinking of group meditation space for them.

I also analysed more results from survey from students on the centre they’d want. They seem to really like the idea of having a safe space to study with opportunity to socialise and participate activities that’ll help with the stress etc they’re experiencing. Lots of them mentioned reading as a form of relaxation and also having some kind of relaxing sensory experience which could be interesting.  Some of them also liked the idea about learning new things about climate change so I’m going to look at some examples of forms they could learn about such things.

I started thinking to focus on how to make students feel good, comfortable, confident in that place? Then try to link that with education about climate change indirectly? Making them realise that it’s big today’s issue! But more through my design than thematic workshops. Through my design I’d like them to discover it themselves

Still need to research more and look at more examples of designs for better mental health for students and maybe some well-being centres also.

Now I’m waiting for reply from student well-being team if they’d have some advice on designing well-being student centre hopefully it’ll give me some more insight on what kinds of spaces would be best to have in my design.