RAJNI PERERA – sculpting styles

Rajni Perera recently had an exhibition, Traveller, at the Tramway Gallery in Glasgow (witch I sadly missed dew to Covid…).

“Taking place in a future that could be now or may have already happened, Traveller speaks directly to issues of sovereignty, belonging, identity and personhood. As times of scarcity loom large, and as nation states push and pull on its citizenry, we see the diasporic person become the focus of the future. The Travellers are protected by way of ancestral armor developed for body and spirit, and adapted to fit behaviours of care and nourishment, while facing the dangers of off-world commute, inhospitable terrain, and territorial dispute.These vestments have been produced slowly, in some cases over the course of many centuries. The diasporic Traveller has mutated into an optimal evolutionary state, like the flowers of Fukushima, emerging beautifully while dying in some ways and being reborn in others. Their mythologies join hands and worlds through bloodlines, through warp and weft, all the way through to the place where the formerly displaced are presently powerful, safe, protected and flourishing. It is an ancient and boundless state to which they have returned, many millennia ahead of and behind us.”

Even though I don’t see my work as related to belonging, I do feel my work connects with this sense of future/now/timeless/syfy quality that Perea’s work has. I think the duality of my work lends itself to the idea of alternate universes or versions of ourselves, with the digital work feeling quite futuristic and the sculptural work feeling quite calm, small and subtle.

I really like the way Perea manages to create a continues aesthetic throughout her 3d and 2d work, but how each medium has different property and adds something to the other (dimensional synergy?). I really really like her use of colour and flatness in both her sculpture and painting and feel I should play around with colour a bit more in my 3d printed work.

I wonder if I should add more patterns to my 2d work? and bolder colours to my digital work, certainly something to look into. I also want to play around with distorting features as well we the shape of my faces.

https://www.rajniperera.com/