Using a spotlight, I experiment with low key lighting. The splash-like sporadic shapes project onto the back wall and create a repeat silhouette image of the presented work. Given that the room was half-lit already, the projections aren’t as dramatic and high-contrast as I would have liked.

I use a thin metal frame purely for aesthetic purposes. Previously, I have used wooden frames and canvas stretchers to produce similar works. The wooden frames were functional, and also acted as a reference to traditional painting practice. I enjoy the concept of referencing traditional practice in a post modern, contemporary art setting. However, visually I didn’t like width of the wooden frame when it projected as a shadow. So I changed to a metal frame and the outcome has been successful. The metal frames provide a quiet and sympathetic solution to holding the shapes in which they contain. The improved frames are sleek and unobtrusive, allowing the shapes held within them to take the viewers attention.