Unpacking the “Pocketable” Object

During this project I have been interested in the potential applications of what I initially referred to as “pocket objects”; that is, small “pocketable” objects which hold some kind of formal or functional interest. Not as mundane as an everyday key, though something more, perhaps, than a run-of-the-mill keychain or lanyard; a sculptural souvenir, or a piece of ephemera; something at once significant and throwaway.

The idea of “pocket sculpture” has interested me for a while as I believe that such objects can occupy the space between art and the everyday – and as such represent a means of extending the parameters of “art” beyond the assumed boundaries of the museum or gallery walls.

The images below show some of the things that have inspired me over the course of this project.

Keychain on display in the National Museum of Scotland
Interpretive text (7) for keychain on display in the National Museum of Scotland
The work of Corrina Goutos, as seen on Instagram
Small stitched pouch I designed to hold a face mask; the red cord loop allows the user to add the pouch to a keychain or lanyard
Photograph by artist Richard Wentworth which I think perfectly captures the beauty of everyday ephemera
A keychain of mine, with a handmade fob designed to function as a space to note down important information or a reminder; alongside this, other “pocket objects” which suggest personal function or significance
Paper cut-out (2021). The use of cordage, and associated techniques including knot-tying and splicing continue to feel relevant to this project and my practice in general; this is perhaps due to the influence of my past work as an arborist / tree surgeon, and the prominent role of ropework in that profession
Knots (2021). Ink on collaged paper
Knots (2021). Ink and watercolor on paper