Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

Year 5 Careers Fair: General practice

Year 5 Careers Fair: General practice

Representing General Practice are Dr Rachel Wood, Dr Camilla Creagh-Barry, Dr Robert Duncan and Dr Andrew McClarey.

Head shot of Rachel WoodDr Rachel Wood

I graduated from Liverpool in 1995 and enjoyed three years in hospital general medical posts, before entering general practice and completing GP training in 2000.

After 10 months in a locum position, I joined an Edinburgh partnership for 17 years, working in the practice with the highest deprivation score in Lothian and gaining a lot of experience in managing addiction.

I qualified to be an education supervisor in 2007 and became a foundation director for three years from 2008. I now work as a salaried GP in a practice with a very different population demographic and have worked as a Training Programme Director in general practice, since 2018.

As Trustee for a national children’s charity, I use transferable skills from general practice within the role of chair of the Safe Guarding committee. In 2017, I became a GMC associate working as a PLAB (UK entrance exam for overseas doctors) examiner.

Additional diplomas undertaken during my career are Diploma in Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Diploma in Occupational Health. General practice has given me the medical variety, breadth of opportunities and close working relationships with colleagues that maintain my enthusiasm for my work and enable me to look forward to an ongoing exciting career.

Dr Camilla Creagh-Barry

Hi! I am Camilla and I am currently working as a GP in NHS Lothian and I am also a Medical Education Fellow for South East Scotland.

I studied medicine at the University of Edinburgh and graduated in 2014.

I completed GP training in the summer of 2020 and have since worked as a GP in Edinburgh.

I undertook a post as a Medical Education Fellow in August 2022 which involves teaching, research and academic work.

I love GP because of the continuity I have with patients, the autonomy I get over my time and the multidisciplinary community team I work with. It is a great platform to shape my career into what I want it to be and it continues to evolve, allowing me to develop a special interest in women’s health and medical education.

Head shot of Robert DuncanDr Robert Duncan

I have been a full time GP Partner in a semi-rural practice in the Scottish Borders. Currently I am the Chair of the South East Scotland RCGP Faculty.

My daily practice involves all aspects of general practice, looking after a local community hospital and GP training. Interests include pre-hospital emergency medicine, volunteering with the Scottish Ambulance service.

Dr Andrew McClarey

Andrew graduated from the University of Edinburgh in 2012 and completed his foundation programme in Tayside.  In 2014, he moved back to the South East for physician training and made the move to general practice four years later.

Andrew is a GP in Kirkcaldy and works as an Education Fellow for NHS Education Scotland.  He has an ongoing research interest in how GPs make decisions.  He is married to Ailsa, a fellow doctor and they have two young children.