Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

Year 5 Careers Fair: Paediatrics

Year 5 Careers Fair: Paediatrics

Representing paediatrics are Dr Kirsty Hogg, Dr Ailsa McLellan and Dr Tim Lewis.

Dr Kirsty Hogg

Dr Kirsty Hogg I am Dr Kirsty Hogg, a Paediatric registrar currently working in Edinburgh.

Originally from Inverness, I studied in in Dundee before applying for Foundation programme in Edinburgh where I have opted to stay for speciality training.

I felt fortunate that I knew I always wanted to pursue a career in paediatrics and it has definitely lived up to my expectations. It is a career where you aren’t just looking after the patient but instead the whole family. There is the fast paced, acute presentations to keep you on your toes but also patients with long term conditions. This provides you with the opportunity to watch children grow and shape their experience in healthcare.

If you are someone who enjoys working as part of a team, is not afraid of hard work and knows all the lyrics to Frozen then a paediatric career is for you!

Dr Ailsa McLellan

Dr Ailsa McLellanI’m Dr Ailsa McLellan, a paediatric neurologist with a specific interest in paediatric epilepsy.

I run a regional epilepsy service with outreach to DGHs in South East Scotland and am clinical lead for the Scottish Paediatric Epilepsy Surgery Service which involves working with professionals across Scotland.

Whilst I would consider my role to be largely a clinical one, I am involved in research locally, nationally and internationally in aspects of paediatric neurology (and particularly paediatric epilepsy). I am very invested in education and training and teach for the University of Edinburgh (and other institutions). With colleagues in the UK I have set up a series of courses for training in paediatric epilepsy (Paediatric Epilepsy Training courses) and the structures around this courses to ensure they are delivered to a high quality.

I am co-Training Programme Director for paediatrics in Southeast Scotland and in this role I work closely with the Royal College and Paediatrics and Child health and the Deanery and support our trainees as they go through the training programme and become new consultants.

My life outside medicine is really important to me – and I strive to achieve a good work life balance. Two teenage children and a non-medical partner keep me very grounded! I spend a lot of time at the touchline and in swimming pools (including being a British Swimming judge). I enjoy running (more plodding) and when we have chance catch indie bands in venues across Scotland (and further afield when we can).

Dr Tim Lewis

Dr Tim LewisI’m Dr Tim Lewis, one of the paediatric trainees now in fifth year of training.

I was born and brought up in Zimbabwe, slowly making my way further north for education, until I completed my medical degree and foundation years in Aberdeen and moved to Edinburgh for paediatric training.  I have a 17 month old son, which has provided a whole new insight into paediatrics for me!

Even in medical school I had my heart set on the paediatric specialty, with its brightly coloured walls and a healthy number of bubbles. Nowhere else do you have to know all the characters of Paw Patrol, but also be up to date with the latest TikTok craze.  Although it’s nice to be part of the team that care for children, I’m always struck by the strength of these young patients and their families.