Information Services Group: Student Employee Blog

Hear from students about their experience working in the University's Information Services Group

The Lessons of Love Island

There seems to be only two constants in my life this summer, working at an office full time and watching Love Island. Love Island has seamlessly, and probably subliminally, inserted itself into my life.

I’m aware though that most people see Love Island as a vapid, mind-numbing reality television program. Which to be fair is something I wholeheartedly agree with. But you know what else it is, entertaining.

So, in order to justify my summer vice, I thought it was a good idea to reflect on the innovative teachings of Love Island and to see how I have applied them to my daily work life. Because if Instagram influencers on a beach trying find love in Mallorca can’t help me understand how to develop training and support materials for Blackboard Learn, what really can? 

The art of getting mugged off

The viewing of such raw and vehement emotion that derives from finding out someone you like actually likes the new person who arrived in the villa who is about two inches taller than you and has nicer hair is something that really makes you reflect and think. We somehow become devout and attached to such novel things and people that come and go in our lives. When such thing doesn’t work out, or they reject you even after you got all dressed up for about two hours, I find that sometimes our more animalistic and indecorous human qualities tend to take hold.

The human processes being displayed on screen helped me realise that students who use Learn can garner bona fide frustrations. We tend to go on a virtual learning service every day that we trust is there to give us the study materials we need. We see it as reliable, supportive, loyal babes; it is the total package.

So, when we find that the assignment we submitted on Learn isn’t properly submitting as it should, Love Island taught me that instead of taking the time to unabatingly try to solve the problem, it is a very real behaviour to express frustration instead by ranting about said thing to everyone you know.

Or maybe by yelling at said former trustworthy partner by using the term ‘categorically’ as much as possible.

Observing and analysing the mind of a twenty-something-year old after feeling they have just been mugged off helped me gain some empathy for the subjects of the training material I may create. Those coming to you in frustration may be feeling this emotion categorically, and therefore you need to make sure you too are categorically prepared to give them the material they need.

The significance of having proper chat

You would think that being with the same group of people every single day and every single hour of your life would produce an uninhibited and productive form of communication. However, translating your exact thoughts and feelings for couples of the show is almost inexplicably poor. I find myself reaching for the television and asking why Yewande won’t just admit she has feelings for Danny, he is right there, and you have no reason to doubt yourself.

But it was foolish to come to such a conclusion so post-haste. When I arrive at the office sometimes, I find myself unsure of whether what I am doing is worthwhile. You find that you, and you alone, are responsible for filling your time and making it matter, and therefore it is quite burdensome at times to get the courage or self-reassurance.

Sometimes all it takes is a male model to make you feel like you should believe in yourself (but sometimes that same male model actually wants to crack on with a female model that just walked in and lies to you and leaves you in the dust, shame on you Danny). However, a lot of the time it just takes some real courage.  How are you expected to graft with someone if you don’t have the confidence to make the first move? The same can be said for networking or presenting within your typical office meeting. I have learned the most not from isolating myself within my work, but by conversing with the other interns, having catch-ups with my manager, and speaking up in meetings. Therefore, like Love Island, and really the essence of the human journey itself, being an intern is not a solo race. If you want to succeed you’ve got to talk to people and crack on.

The ebullience of Scottish narration

Finally, if Love Island has taught me anything it would be the true value and raw joy that stems from having the voice of Iain Sterling discussing your every move. And while woefully I can admit that I have not been bestowed the privilege of having my life narrated by Iain Sterling, I find myself to be immersed within a Scottish setting every day and it does just give my normal office life that little extra flair.

Overall, Love Island may in fact be garbage, but you know what, people tend to throw away a lot of useful and important things.

« »

© 2019 Information Services Group: Student Employee Blog. Theme by Anders Norén.