Constitution and future meetings of our LGBT+ and Allies Group
***Dates and venue will change in 2020 due to building refurbishment and staff change – please await further updates***
A monthly informal meeting of LGBT+ staff and students and allies has taken place on the last Wednesday of the month since March 2019. This informal arrangement now seeks to establish a formal presence in the School of Divinity by constituting itself as the School of Divinity LGBT+ and Allies Group.
Constitution of the School of Divinity’s LGBT+ and Allies Group
- This group shall be open to all who are associated with the School of Divinity, though primarily include staff and UG and PG students.
- The group holds monthly meetings during the teaching semesters and meets as agreed across the teaching-free parts of the year.
- The group is co-convened by a member of staff (usually the E&D Director) and a Postgraduate student, as agreed by group consensus or, if necessary, a vote. An Undergraduate representative will also be sought each year.
The group has the following aims:
- To provide a safe space for LGBT+ persons and Allies to meet and share experiences of life in the School of Divinity. The group is not a space for debating or challenging LGBT+ rights, but rather for celebrating diversity, in line with University commitments outlined in its Dignity and Respect policy (https://www.ed.ac.uk/equality-diversity/respect).
- To contribute to creating a welcoming and inclusive culture for LGBT+ persons and Allies in the School of Divinity, by
- Challenging homophobia and transphobia, if and when they occur.
- Supporting LGBT+ persons and their Allies when experiencing/challenging/reporting discrimination, harassment or bullying, including through formal University procedures if desired.
- Organising events that explore issues relating to gender and sexual identities in religion and theology.
Meetings for 2019/2020
The Group will meet in the Senate Room, New College, 1-2pm on the following Wednesdays, unless otherwise stated:
- 25 September 2019
- 30 October 2019 (in the Althaus-Reid Room)
- 27 November 2019
- 18 December 2019
- 29 January 2020 – dates and venue will change in 2020 – please await further updates
- 26 February 2020 – date and venue will change in 2020 – please await further updates
- 25 March 2020 – date and venue will change in 2020 – please await further updates
- 29 April 2020 – date and venue will change in 2020 – please await further updates
- 27 May 2020 (venue change: to be confirmed: Old College, South Bridge – Teaching Room 1)
- 24 June 2020 – date and venue will change in 2020 – please await further updates
Comments are closed
Comments to this thread have been closed by the post author or by an administrator.