Project Home

Welcome!

My name is Valeria Lembo and I am a PhD researcher at the University of Edinburgh (about me). This is the main page of my research, ‘The Pandemic, Art and Dementia Project’, where you will find all the info you need to join the study.

Research shows that arts, crafts and leisure activities can have a positive impact on the lives of people with dementia, family members and carers.

For my research, I want to know more about the role of arts, crafts and leisure activities in the daily lives of people affected by dementia in the UK, especially during the Covid-19 pandemic.

I am also interested in how organisations and groups delivering dementia-inclusive/dementia-friendly activities have adjusted through the pandemic and what challenges they have been facing, what lessons they have learnt.

The research will include the multiple perspectives of people affected by dementia as well as those of organisers, volunteers and facilitators.

Due to current public health measures, the research will be completely carried out online. For this reason, I will give particular attention to online activities and the use of online resources.

I will use art-based creative methods, interviews (on Zoom) and will join online group activities as a participant myself in order to write notes and observations.

The research is funded by the E-CRED Centre (Edinburgh Centre for Research on the Experience of Dementia), at the University of Edinburgh and has received ethical approval by the School of Health in Social Science at the same institution.

Do you want to get involved?

If you are a person living with dementia/MCI who loves the arts (including music and dance) and crafts

or a family member, friend or carer of someone living with dementia;

or if you are an organiser, artist or facilitator involved in dementia-friendly and dementia-inclusive activities you might be able to join.

You will need to be living in the UK and have the capacity to consent. You will also need a good Internet connection.

Would you like to get on board? Download the Participant Information Sheet here.

Please read it carefully and take your time to decide.

Or you can watch the Participant Information Video here (coming soon):

If you would like to get involved or simply ask questions and get more info, drop me an email:

Valeria.Lembo@ed.ac.uk

I look forward to hearing from you!