Find out what our undergraduate veterinary medicine students have to say about living and studying in Edinburgh.

Semester 1 Done!

Semester 1 Done!

Hello again!

First semester during COVID completed 😊

As different as this semester has been, it has been very well organized by the professors and admin staff. This short 4 months, the 4th years finished the Equine course, Veterinary Public Health (VPH) course, and half of the Farm Animal course. Highland cows

Not going to lie, I started in September being quite intimidated by all 3 of these topics. I’ve had minimal experience in all these, and I wasn’t familiar with the full responsibilities of the vet, especially with VPH. I also heard from upper years (when I was in 3rd year) that the thinking process required for farm and VPH are very different, compared to what we are used to in cats and dogs, and that definitely didn’t help make me feel better.

But after this semester, I’ve come to find myself very much enjoying all the courses and what we’ve learned. We focused more on herd health and population trends (as compared to cats and dogs medicine), and studying this alongside a global pandemic added a deeper level of understanding to the material. My worries about not being able to understand the material well were properly addressed by how the professors taught the subjects, and I now have a better appreciation for how to approach farm animal medicine.

For all future vet students reading, don’t worry if you feel like you’ve not had enough experience in a certain component of vet medicine; the professors are here to help and inspire ⭐

Despite everything that happened this year, I hope everyone had a meaningful 2020 full of love, appreciation and growth. Happy holidays everyone, shall see you again in 2021!

Viv.