Find out what our undergraduate veterinary medicine students have to say about living and studying in Edinburgh.

Outside of Vet School

Outside of Vet School

Hi again!

For this blog I’m going to go a bit more into extra-curricular activities and uni life outside of vet school. As our timetable is a bit more full on than some other subjects, it can be easy to slip into everything in your life being about vet school – sometimes it’s nice to get away from it all! Everyone is different, so the most important this is that you are enjoying yourself. In this post I am going to talk about what a few of my friends and I do in our spare time, but in ~interview~ form to make it easier to read!

Are you part of any clubs?

L: I am part of the main university intermediate tap team. Right now we are training for a competition against other universities at the start of semester 2. It’s great to do something with other university people who aren’t necessarily vets!

A: I go to play underwater hockey with the main university. We have lots of fun socials as well as being in the pool every week. I am also part of the Dick vet musicians orchestra and choir. As vet students, we have access to both the main university clubs, as well as some vet specific clubs. These tend to be less demanding of our time and are based around our term times and timetables as they are a little different from the rest of the university. It is also nice to see fellow vet students outside of the context of vet school!
C: I like to be quite busy so I’m part of a few clubs. I organise the socials for Edinburgh Exmoor Pony Trekking Section, as well as being a Trek Leader for them also. It’s so nice to get out into the Pentlands once or twice a week and the ponies never fail to put a smile on my face! Organising the socials this year has allowed me to get to know a lot more people in the section, and ensured that I have lots of social activities planned! My other horse related activity is being part of the teams for the main uni Equestrian Club. Going out to Tannoch once a week is a great way to forget about vet school for a few hours and focus on something else.

Do you do anything completely outside of university?

L: I help out at a local brownie unit once a week – It allows me to forget about university entirely for a bit and give back to the community. I also work part time as a tutor. Although this doesn’t exactly get me away from academics, it still is something different that I can focus on!
C: I work at a cattery part time. This is really great as I get to cuddle cats all the time, whilst also being around people who aren’t at uni at all!

What do you like to do in your free time? 

L: In my free time I like to go to the gym and go for walks outside of the city. I also like to paint, and if I have enough free time, I sometimes go home so I can cuddle my guinea pigs!

A: I also love a good walk!

C: I am attempting to bake my way through this year’s Great British Bake off and love watching TV shows to relax.