Find out what our undergraduate veterinary medicine students have to say about living and studying in Edinburgh.

2nd Year of Vet Med

2nd Year of Vet Med

Hiya everyone! My name is Charlie and I’m in my 2nd year at R(D)SVS, doing the 5 year course. I thought for my first blog post I would tell you a little bit about how 2nd year has been going so far.

Uni Life

I have found my timetable to be pretty similar to first year, just a few small changes that I am really enjoying! We probably have a few more lectures than last year, but our lectures tend to start at 11am instead of 9am which means often I get a lie in! As well as our lectures, we have practicals in the dissection room and labs, although so far we have done less dissecting and more looking at prospected specimens which is more chill. We’ve also been doing our exotics handling this semester, which I have loved!

As for the courses, this semester we have started Animal Body 3 (AB3), Animal Life and Food Safety 2 (ALFS2) and this years continuation of Professional and Clinical Skills.

I have been really enjoying the first half of AB3, which is split into different sections: equine and bovine locomotion, digestion, cardiovascular system, metabolism and respiratory system. We have small tests throughout this semester on each section, and will have the main exam at Christmas. AB3 finishes around Easter.

ALFS2 has been building on from last year, learning about the husbandry around different animals. This year we have added in exotics so have been learning all about reptiles, small mammals, birds and even fish! We will get examined next semester.

Extra Mural Studies

In the first 2 years we have to undertake 12 weeks of Animal Husbandry Extra Mural Studies (AHEMS). I have finished 11 weeks now so am looking forward to longer holidays this year! There is a database of placements that is really useful to look at if you are struggling to find some, and my biggest tip is perseverance! If they don’t reply to your email, give them a phone.  More often than not places will actually be really quite happy to offer a placement, they just don’t always keep up to date with emails!

I started off with some placements that I felt more confident in, so I went to a dog & cat, and a small mammal rescue. These were a great way      to get me used to EMS, whilst also handling animals that I was used to. I stayed at home for these placements and drove in every day.

I then stayed in Huntly with a friend for my lambing placement. I have never lambed before so it was very comforting having a friend with me. We ended up night lambing and learnt so much and had so much fun. Lambing is definitely one of the more hands on placements so it’s great to get stuck in. My last week of EMS is going to be lambing in the same place this year.

My dairy EMS was a big learning curve. I hadn’t had any experience with cattle outside of our practicals, so I didn’t know what to expect. Despite being full on, I learnt a great deal and am glad that I pushed myself out of my comfort zone, going alone.

Outside of Uni

It’s really important to have things going on outside of Vet school. We are kind of in a bubble of vet students so it’s refreshing to speak to non vets and just chill outside of the vet student life!

There are so many clubs and societies to choose from. I’m part of the Exmoor Pony Trekking Section, compete with the Equestrian Club, and work at a cattery. I also plan to join an orchestra / band to play my violin and cornet more! As a flat we watch The Great British Bake-off, and so I am attempting to recreate one of the challenges from each week.