Find out what our undergraduate veterinary medicine students have to say about living and studying in Edinburgh.

How to ace your vet school interview

How to ace your vet school interview

Hi everyone!

Interview season is coming up and I remember feeling extremely stressed when I was preparing for them. Although the content of the interviews is confidential, I’ll be sharing how I prepared for them and some tips that will hopefully put you at ease 🙂 

1. Don’t over-research! It’s important to do some research and read up on current veterinary topics, but you’re not expected to know clinical details at this stage yet. I found online resources like the Vet Times, BVA very helpful with keeping up with hot topics. It’ll come in handy when you are asked to elaborate on your interests in the veterinary field. 
  2. Relax and be yourself. I know, it’s easier said than done. Although you may be asked a difficult question, or the interviewer may challenge your answers, don’t panic! The interviewer is more interested in learning about your thinking process than knowing you have the ‘right’ answer. 
  3. Know your personal statement very, very well. You might need to elaborate on the content and examples that you wrote. 
  4. If you’re not in the first group and have a long wait for your turn, seize the chance to talk to interviewers and alumni! Not only will it give you more insight into the vet school and the field, but it can also help you decide which school is most suitable for you. I remember preparing questions that were specific to each vet school by looking at their social media, student experience pamphlets, and websites. I ultimately chose Edinburgh because of how friendly and approachable the staff were during my interview. 
  5. Treat it like a conversation! Instead of just rambling on and on, wait for the interviewer to respond. I found some interviewers more engaging than others, but I was much less nervous when I treated the interviewer as someone who shared similar passions and interests as I did, than someone who was trying to interrogate me about my limited veterinary knowledge. 

I hope these tips have helped with your interview preparation. A lot of people feel like they’ve done terribly and have no chance of an offer after their interview, but end up getting in! Some questions are designed to challenge you, others are so the interviewer can know you better to see if you’re the right fit for the school, so please don’t panic and enjoy yourself! 

Hoyee x