Find out what our undergraduate veterinary medicine students have to say about living and studying in Edinburgh.

The Final Push

The Final Push

Hello again all!

I hope you are all staying warm and dry as the days get shorter and a little chillier. I often find November to be quite a tough time in regards to motivation and stamina. I think that especially this year with everything that has happened around the word, it is bound to take a toll on everyone. This is something that I have been reflecting on lately as we are nearing a much stranger Christmas/ Holiday season and thought I would share with you! Here are some of my tips to change the slump of November (which is entirely normal to feel!):

Breaking Habits- It is very easy to slip into habits and routines, and I do think that these have merits and provide structure. However, I find myself simply staying inside and getting into a rut with schoolwork since it is slightly colder and not as sunny outside. I have found it incredibly helpful mentally to break this and go outside for a walk every day. I have been joining friends for a socially distant walk on a regular basis, and just the extra push of having someone else there has motivated me to go outside much more frequently.

Allowing Yourself  to Emote- I think that allowing yourself personal days/ time to yourself is incredibly important when the going gets tough. Knowing that these feelings and emotions are normal, and allowing yourself time to process and work through them can help you get back up on the other side. This could be physically writing it down, having a quick reflection time at the end of a long day/week, or just watching Netflix and not thinking about school/work/ life for a brief moment.

Reaching Out- Things this year have been vastly different than normal, as we all adjust to new normals presented every week and month. I am confident that we have all felt in similar stages to others at the same time. Having a wee chat with friends and family to get it all out always helps to lighten the load.

Lastly, I hope that we all know that we are in this together (*cue cheesy High School Musical song*), and even though it has been a long year, we have made it so far in this time and accomplished quite a lot!