Hello! I hope everyone has been doing well. As COVID-19 is getting worse across the whole world, please make sure that you take care of your personal hygiene, wash your hands thoroughly throughout the day and also avoid unnecessary travel. As I am just a few months away from graduating (ahh scary), it is really the time for me to start thinking about job applications. So I thought I would take this opportunity to share about some useful tips that I found while preparing for job applications.
There were many websites that I came across that were really informative. The University has almost all the essential information for writing cover letters, CVs and also to prepare for interviews. I will include the links to the websites below so anyone who is interested can have a look at them. Besides that, you can also make appointment with a careers consultant at the University to discuss your CV.
Tips to write a Cover Letter:
- Tailor it to the job you are applying to. Make sure you do some research about the practice beforehand.
- Do not use the same cover letter for every job.
- Be clear about the position you are applying to and SELL YOURSELF! Mention the skills and experiences you have that fit the role. Always remember to thank the employer for reading through your application!
Tips to write your CV:
- Keep a record of the extra-mural studies you have done so far. That will definitely help you to put your CV together.
- Try to start writing your CV early so you will have time to read through it a million times.
- Do not try to include every single placement that you have done but choose the ones that will show your skills.
- Make sure there are NO SPELLING MISTAKES.
Tips to prepare for an interview:
- Make sure you know if it is going to be a telephone or face to face interview.
- BE PREPARED! You can always try to prepare some of the most commonly asked questions.
- Remember to read through your CV as you might be asked questions about it.
I hope you guys will find this useful. Good luck to anyone who is applying to jobs as well. Bye for now!