Find out what our undergraduate veterinary medicine students have to say about living and studying in Edinburgh.

Last week of rotations to go!

Last week of rotations to go!

Hiya! I hope everyone has been well. It is always unbelievable when I realize that it is December again! It also means that I am only one week away from finishing my core rotations and it is insane to think how fast time has passed. And as I have completed most of my rotations, I think it’s a great opportunity for me to share about my experience in this blog.

We spent 3 months in the Hospital for Small Animals across the Easter Bush Campus for our small animal rotations. All of us had to do a week of rotations in every different departments in the hospital. Overall, it was a really good experience for me as I have always been interested in referral procedures. And also, it was phenomenal to be given the opportunity to spend time with the pioneers in the field. It was undoubtedly a good opportunity for us to gain better understanding and also to be more hands-on while in the hospital. Although some people did find that it was quite a long time in the hospital,  I see myself going into small animal general practice after graduation, so I really enjoyed my time here.

It would almost be impossible to decide which was the best week when they were all amazing. Overall, I found myself enjoying medicine more than surgery. I also chose cardiology as one of my selected rotations as I really want to learn more about Echocardiogram. And if I were to pick one, I would say the week in anaesthesia caught me by surprise as I never imagined I would enjoy it. I really value the opportunity to see how different drugs are used in different clinical situations, which then made me feel more confident to use them in future. The week at Inglis, a general practice in Cowdenbeath, ended on a high when we had 14 German Shepherd puppies in for their first vaccination. It was absolutely the best day ever!

I am now on equine rotations and it has been fairly busy in the Hospital. However, given that I am not a horsey person at all, it will not surprise you to hear me saying that it has been less exciting than in the Small Animal Hospital. Don’t get me wrong though – everyone in the Equine Hospital is very friendly and approachable. Horses are just not my thing!

Feel free to ask away if anyone has any questions about final year rotations. I wish everyone a merry Christmas and an enjoyable break after all the exams! Just a few pictures to show off some of the great cakes we have had on Cake Friday. P.S: For whoever does not know about the Cake Friday tradition in final year, it’s when everyone in your group rotates and bakes every Friday. So, practising your baking skills before going into rotation would be my advice haha.