Introduction: The Film Dispatch

Introduction: The Film Dispatch

The Dark Knight (2008)

Hi readers! I’m Yvonne Wang, Founder and Chief Editor of The Film Dispatch. I have a broad range of film genre interests: sci-fi, actions, suspense films. Romance and Rom-coms? Yeah probably. Oddly, I always prefer romance/rom-com TV dramas than films because I feel human emotions and relationships involving romantic love can more fully unfold in longer narrative rather than a two-hour film. Though I confess I did cry when Jack died but I attribute it to the sexiness of young Leonardo! You may be curious whether I’m interested in horror films. I’ll shout out: NEVER! The existence of horror films puzzles me even more than maths exams. How can human beings get pleasure from watching these things? 

My favourite film keeps changing from time to time, but among all the films I watched recently, I would pick Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight (2008). The shock it left in me is beyond words. The apocalypse caused by Joker in Gotham is not only displayed as the havoc he wreaked in the physical world; most importantly, it’s the destruction he imposes on the social ethics. He destroys hope. If the purpose of Joker is to destroy the bottom line of morality, to undermine every rule, order and faith of human society, Batman, is the counterpoint. Having experienced similar pain and trauma, Bruce Wayne is the Joker’s mirror. Wayne chooses to represent the goodness in human nature, even after his suffering. He keeps protecting a world which is against him to uphold his belief in humanity. This classic tragedy style of hero story touched me. I will never forget the symbol of an enormous black bat spreading his wings in burning fire up above Gotham night-sky. A symbol which stands for justice and the refusal to yield. Batman was born in the dark, but aims to guard the brightness. Just as Jim Gordon puts it in the end: ‘He’s the watchful protector, the silent guardian. The dark knight.’ Nobody can resist a story with such an intense contrast between characters and grand themes. To see a slandered hero struggle to cling to his faith, strikes a chord in many of us.  

So… this is me! As the chief editor, I will meet our lovely readers in every article to come. At The Film Dispatch, we appreciate the wonder of the moving image and the cinema experience. Looking forward to knowing all of you through films! 

Love, Death and film🥂 

Founder & Chief Editor  

Yvonne.