University of Edinburgh Technicians

University of Edinburgh Technicians

Blogs by Technicians Sharing Experiences, Best Practice and More

Career Case Study, Technical Support Career, University of Sheffield – Frank Fletcher RSci MIScT

A Technical Support Career at The University of Sheffield by Frank Fletcher RSci MIScT

Team Leader, Technical Support Services, Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering

“My career began at the University of Sheffield on the 9th of July 1973 as Junior Laboratory Technician in the Department of Glass Technology at Elmfield, Northumberland Road.

The role of a Junior Technician in 1973 was to set up and test equipment for practical classes, assist students with the experiments, build new equipment, clean, maintain and repair equipment, wax polish the wooden lab benches and strangest of all, to stand on VW car windows and demonstrating glass blowing using (carefully) melted Fox’s Glacier Mints at Open Days!

My career was tending towards Chemistry and in 1976 I completed my College course and
was promoted to Laboratory Technician. In 1978, due to Departmental need, my career path diverted to Electronics Technician. Under the inspired supervision and training of Mr. Alan Gregory I grew quickly into the role and when Alan left the University I was put in charge of the electronics section.I gained a (self-funded) Diploma in Audio, Radio and TV servicing to confirm my skills. University funded training was limited in those days. In 1992, I was promoted to Senior Technician and in 2005, I was promoted to Chief Technician, now renamed Technical Engineering Team Leader.During my 45 years here, I have worked in the same department in three different Buildings (one twice!), in ten different work areas and, incredibly, there are plans to make this eleven before I take early retirement in September!I have watched the Department grow and develop in teaching and research themes too:
  • 1975 –  The Department of Glass Technology merged with the Department of Ceramics to become the Department of Ceramics, Glasses and Polymers (CGP)
  • 1984 – CGP was renamed to The School of Materials
  • 1992 – The Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) was born.

During my early career I helped to develop a special coloured glass for the drinks industry and have been involved in an investigation into the durability of Lead crystal decanters.
In electronics; I have contributed to many interesting research projects but one of the most amusing was being tasked with making a controllable motorised platform to shake fruit jellies for a School Outreach Project.In 2011 I became leader of the Technical Support Team and my team and I provide our services to all members of the the Department of Materials Science & Engineering. We offer IT, AV and communications solutions, electronic and electrical services, EFM liaison and provision of small scale infrastructure projects and vacuum system services.I was awarded Registered Scientist status in February 2017 and I was asked to create and deliver a short presentation about my career and why I applied for registration so late in my career. I delivered the presentation at the TechNet event at Firth Hall where I formally received my award and, much to my surprise, I was invited to speak at a Technician’s Event at the University of Hull (December 2017). I enjoyed meeting the technicians at Hull University and touring their department, the friendly one to one chats during lunch and the informal discussion after the event were a delight. I have also been invited to talk at a forthcoming event at Manchester Metropolitan University in April 2018.I was honoured to be invited to meet Lord Sainsbury at the opening of the National Technician Development Centre. He showed great interest in my mission to promote the value of Professional Registration regardless of age. It is clear that Lord Sainsbury values technicians and he spoke of how important technicians are to the British economy. To have such an influential ally is a great asset to our cause and will benefit the next generation of technicians.I have also been asked to talk about Professional Registration at the 2018 IST Conference – the surprises just keep on coming. I am astonished that so late in my career that my thoughts are regarded as inspirational! I intend to continue ‘spreading the word’ after I retire, should the opportunity arise.Thanks to Natalie Kennerley and Kevin Oxley for their support, advice and encouragement and for making my latest adventure possible.”
Reposted from TechNet Newsletter #10 from The University of Sheffield