The Study Hub Blog is the home for study skills resources and support with student life for all taught students at the University of Edinburgh, from first year Undergraduates to taught Postgraduates.

Employ.ed internship insights – part 2 

Employ.ed internship insights – part 2 

In the run up to the opening of the 2024 Employ.ed internship programme (for current 2nd, 3rd and penultimate year undergraduate students), we have asked a couple of previous interns to share their experiences in an Insights mini-series. This post is by Sofia.  

What made you apply for the internship? 

Primarily I wanted to gain work experience in the summer leading up to my third year, as I knew this would help be beneficial for my personal and professional development. I was keen on developing a range of hard and soft skills, such as data analysis, adaptability, and compartmentalisation. I was certain I could enhance these skills when I came across the job opening and saw that the diverse responsibilities the role required 

What did your Employ.ed internship consist of? 

The internship consisted of a wide array of tasks, ranging from curating new content for the Study Hub Blog to analyzing student engagement during the past four years. As the Study Hub Analysis Intern, I was also responsible for reporting on projects and initiatives that could increase student engagement.  

What did you enjoy most about your internship?  

I really enjoyed the IAD’s flexible and collaborative work environment. I received a high degree of trust during the 10 weeks, and always felt like a valued member of the IAD team. Moreover, I always felt supported by my line and task manager and greatly appreciated the focus given to my personal development goals. I also liked the internship’s diverse range of tasks; I can confidently say that from working with Google Analytics to helping run a conference each day as an intern was different from the previous.  

What challenges have you encountered, and how have you adapted to them? 

The main challenge I encountered was the lack of student familiarization with the Institute of Academic Development, as this directly hinders students’ engagement with the Study Hub Blog. I found this deeply frustrating, as I believe that a lot of students would benefit if they had greater knowledge about the resources offered by the institute. Therefore, I focused heavily on ways to increase engagement with the blog and other resources offered by the IAD. 

What advice would you give anyone thinking of applying for an Employ.ed internship?  

Go for it! This is a great opportunity to gain work experience and pick up on skills you would not develop with your degree alone. As it is a highly competitive scheme, apply to as many as possible to maximize your chances of securing an internship with Employ.Ed. 

Sofia is a third year Economics student at the University of Edinburgh. In her second year she volunteered as a leader in the Econ PALS (Peer Learning and Support) scheme. In her free time, she enjoys running, travelling and spending time with friends.