SPS student voices and experiences

What’s it like to be a Postgraduate student at Edinburgh? Becky starts blogging!

Hi all, I am Becky, I’m 23 and I’m studying an MSc in Global Mental Health and Society, with a particular interest in education, refugees and child and adolescent mental health. I’m originally from the North West of England but completed my undergraduate degree in Psychology at Nottingham Trent University. I have also lived in Canada during my year abroad and Spain after graduating last year to teach English.

I initially chose Edinburgh as it was one of only three universities in the UK with a Global Mental Health course, which was something I really wanted to study, and the optional courses particularly appealed to me. But now that I have been here for six months, it is clear that I made the right choice. Within the university, aside from studying GMHS, I have also been taking Spanish classes through the Open Language courses, I play rounders with the Edinburgh University Rounders Club, I boulder regularly at the University gym, I volunteer with Children’s Holiday Venture, a student led charity, and I work as a Student Ambassador.

Outside of university life, I love to explore the city, particularly Holyrood Park and Arthur’s Seat as they are right on my doorstep. I love to travel and love how easy it is to access the international airports in both Edinburgh and Glasgow, but I also hope to explore more of the beautiful Scottish landscapes. I love to go to the cinema, theatre, concerts and live sports events across the UK but also entertain the introvert in me by staying at home and trying out some new baking or cooking recipes, watching Marvel and Disney movies or a new Spanish show on Netflix.

I look forward to writing more posts and sharing all my top University of Edinburgh and city life tips!