SPS student voices and experiences

From Edinburgh Undergrad to Postgrad – Introducing Ita

Hello everyone!

My name is Ita and I am a current PG student at the University of Edinburgh (I have just finished my UG degree – MA Archaeology and Social Anthropology – also at Edinburgh).

Exploring Rugen during the summer holidays!

I am originally from Europe, coming from a small town on the Polish-German border near the Baltic Sea. Fortunately, Edinburgh is not too big and is a very friendly, relatively slow-paced city, so it was easy for me to adjust (though to be honest, before coming here I stressed a lot about “living in a capital city”).

My main academic interest lies in investigating the way our environments shape our lives and vice versa. I’m also fascinated by the past and try to learn as much as I can about it, especially about the lives of ordinary people who rarely figure in the historical records. To do so, I try to combine perspectives from both archaeology and social anthropology – I studied both subjects as part of my UG degree. This year, I am studying an MSc in Human Osteoarchaeology and I hope to learn more about how our socio-cultural environments influence our bodies. I want to combine the things I learn about the past with theories from Medical Anthropology, by far my favourite sub-discipline.

In my free time I love to read and watch movies, especially old ones with Gregory Peck, Vivien Leigh, and Humphrey Bogart. My favourite books are “The Return of the Native” by Thomas Hardy, “Middlemarch” and “Felix Holt: The Radial” both by George Eliot. Generally speaking, I simply adore Victorian literature. Isn’t it wonderful to be able to immerse oneself in a different, long-gone world? To forget about one’s troubles? To live a different life, even if only vicariously?

Apart from that I am also very keen on travelling and learning new languages. So far, I have travelled extensively around Europe, but my biggest dream is to travel to Singapore and Malaysia. I can fluently speak 3 languages: German, Polish, and English plus basic Italian and Dutch. I have also recently taken up Malaysian, Hebrew, and Yiddish.

I am looking forward to sharing my experiences of and tips for studying and living in Edinburgh. I do hope you will find them useful and enjoyable.

Until next time!