Making it concrete

grayscale photography of concrete blocksAs I get my project off the ground, one of the aspects I’m struggling with is context. I know generally what I want to work on, but I’m a little at a loss for how to ground it. More specifically I am trying to decide if it is best to ground using design research methods with children and young people to help them think about preferred educational futures in the general sense, or to tie it to a specific context. On the one hand having a very specific focus (for example influencing policy around a new pupil portfolio system) perhaps makes the work (for the children and young people involved) seem less abstract. On the other hand there is something appealing about keeping it general – it allows the methods to really be stress tested as it were…

2 thoughts on “Making it concrete

1. From what I see you have a clear focus on wanting to use participatory design methods with students, with the purpose of enabling them to think about futures and give them tools to express their ideas. You already looked into methods like design fiction, diegetic prototypes, storytelling or Lego Serious Play.
    You mentioned a possible link to the Scottish governments new policy around portfolio use for assessment. You were/are wondering whether you should choose a narrow scope for preferred futures in connection to the portfolio policy or more general educational futures.
    I find the idea of keeping a wider scope, possibly dividing it into themes as assessment/environment/agents (as in James’ FLO course) intriguing, as it shifts the focus from something that is already being implemented (as I understand is the case for the Portfolio) to something where fictional/speculative thinking could be given more space?
    Although focusing on the portfolio could give yield some immediate action point to implement in adoption of portfolios across different schools and support schools in implementing version of it that match their students’ ideas. (I’d be curious about that too! At my school we’ve gone through various different versions of portfolios with varying success).
    My question for you is, how might you find out/test which design method might be best suited to support students? Or will you try various ones within your project?
    I’m really intrigued by your ideas and curious what students here in Scotland will express about their desired futures!

2. From what I see you have a clear focus on wanting to use participatory design methods with students, with the purpose of enabling them to think about futures and give them tools to express their ideas. You already looked into methods like design fiction, diegetic prototypes, storytelling or Lego Serious Play.
    I’m really intrigued by what students here in Scotland will express about their desired futures!