Derek Jarman’s Blue

– Jenna Carine Ashton in her article “Derek Jarman’s Blue: Negating Vision” says: “Hearing replaces seeing; when we are forced to listen, Blue creates a clash of senses. ” Looking back on your own experience with Blue, do you agree? Why/why not?

I don’t agree, in fact I don’t think that transcending the visual means abandoning it, as I experienced in BLUE, whatever medium I used, blue worked well as a secondary visual to create the atmosphere of the scene, the colour of Blue acted as a good surrogate, when I cut through blue I could bring more into the author’s intention to feel the state of these sounds, so I think that in I think that in Blue the visual is not only not a conflict, but also a good guide.

– Consider this work in relation to González-Torres’s Untitled (Portrait of Rose in Los Angeles). How do these works engage the viewer’s senses and establish a relationship with the subject matter of the work?

1. Firstly, the visual, I think colour is the most basic visual element that appeals to the viewer, especially in Untitled, where the various colours of the candy paper are more impressive.
2.Secondly, the interactive tactile experience allows the viewer to better understand the author’s mood and feelings. Torres compares himself to a candy, and the viewer takes the candy away one by one to represent the fading body of Torres’ partner due to illness. I think this form is very meaningful and important to the art form.