week 4 Sprint2

Here is my reflection on the past two weeks, which may be a little arbitrary and illogical. 🙈

In the first part, I want to talk about my understanding of RSVP. In the second part, I want to talk about the ambiguity of Play. In the third part, I will state my contribution to the team in this sprint. For the last part, I’ll use What? So what? Now what? IAD mode to reflect on my work in these two weeks.

First and foremost, the RSVP section. Hirsch (2011) points out that in order to respond to the public’s large demand for social and political participation, Halprin and his wife formulated the “RSVP cycle” in the 1960s to stimulate participatory environmental experience.In my understanding,“ R” stands for resources, including human and natural resources. “S” stands for scores, emphasizing the changeable development process of individuals or groups.“V ”stands for valuaction, the analysis part of the RSVP system. “Finally, “performance” means performance beyond the score.”(Hirsch,2011))It is important to note that the Score can vary. In short, RSVP is a process of creation in the environment.

Secondly, the part about the ambiguity of play.Ambiguity is full of uncertainty, especially when defining Play. “Classical scholar Mi- hail Spariosu (1989) calls play “amphibolous,” which means it goes in two directions at once and is not clear.” (Sutton, 2021) Through reading, I learned that it is precisely because of the uncertainty of Play that there are many types of Play, such as Mind or subjective play, Solitary play, Playful behaviors and so on. And there are different groups of players, such as infants and adolescents. In addition, the Play equipment is also varied, from small to large including balls and the World Cup.These different categories, however, prove that Play represents a very diverse category of events, adapted to many things, such as art.

The third part is about my contribution in the group.I actively participated in the group discussion. During the discussion, I proposed to use cards as materials for this Play, which was recognized by the group members and ran the rules together with other members at least three times to ensure the smooth progress of Score. Finally, I edited a video of 8 minutes and 55 seconds to show the single and double play of score run by our team.Because the uploaded file of the video was too large, I took some photos of the video and uploaded them to my blog.

Figure: Here is a screenshot from score’s video

Finally, my reflection is divided into three parts: What, So what and Now What.

What part: Our group met difficulties in the first class.Because, after reading the English version of RSVP, we still don’t know what RSVP is. Later, the group read about the PSVP together again. So we know what an RSVP system is. But unfortunately, here comes the second problem. It’s a task that Jake gave our team, and it’s a task that involves multiple variables.We’ve been thinking about what A is, what B is, what C is, but at the end of the first class, we still haven’t given A, B, or C elements. The result was embarrassing because the other groups had already made some gains.

Figure: The first lesson is about materials

So What:However, in the face of these problems, our team members are united and we are all working actively to solve the difficulties we face. So much so that, in the later lessons, compared with the first day’s lessons, our group went smoothly. When we were designing the game segment, everyone had their own ideas about how to flesh out the game segment. Take poker as the theme, and then change some rules of the game, poker and metaphysics combined. We tried this process several times, from the first version of the game where we only drew one card at a time to two cards at a time.

Now What: As for the reading materials after class, I feel that I have a clearer understanding of RSVP mode and play through the reading materials. Before reading the material, I always thought that play was a limited mode, that play was only limited to cards or something similar to board games. However, reading the ambiguity of play, I came to realise that play has a very broad scope. Play can be restricted or unrestricted, can be real or not necessarily real. Play seems to be a transition between the two. In the process of reading, I also learned that there are various types of play, such as informal social play, vicarious audience play and others. After all, there are many types of play and players of different ages. equipment can range from small ball games to World Cup. So, the artist’s play is a different kind of play. Our group’s game is also a kind of play. However, in the preview before class, I felt that the material of this unit was difficult to understand. I seemed to understand some content but still didn’t quite understand it. At the end of the first day of class, I found that the focus of my reading was wrong. I didn’t read the main thing. I kept repeating what confused me. In the later courses, I need to improve my reading ability. 😳🧐

One point worth noting is the issue of intellectual property. Whether you’re using someone else’s work or publishing your own, you need to choose the right licensing format. This is something that needs to be taken seriously. When registering for our group’s score, we open it up to everyone. Our score can be mixed and changed but cannot be applied to business. Therefore, CC-BY-NC-SA was selected at last. It’s also a cautionary note to take when quoting, as not all data is unconditionally open. If used improperly, it may lead to serious infringement problems.🧠👀👂

All in all, this week made me feel like I really need to read more books. By reading a lot of materials, I can solve many difficult problems. I think I’ve made some progress this week and a lot of it has been helped by the team. At the end of the course, I still have some questions and uncertainties about the grade, which may require me to look at the books in the reading list to get answers. I can use the fifth week to read some books that I haven’t read before to enrich my knowledge and prepare for the sixth week. Finally, I would like to thank the team members and teachers for their help this week.

References

Hirsch, A.B. (2011). Scoring the Participatory City. Journal of Architectural Education, 64(2), pp.127–140. doi:10.1111/j.1531-314x.2010.01136.x.

Sutton-Smith, B. (2021) The Ambiguity of Play / Brian Sutton-Smith. [Online]. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press,.

Previous

New world🤡🤪

Next

Sprint 3 Day 1 class assignment

2 Comments

1. A few comments on what you have posted for Theme 2:

Jiahui, you launch straight into a description of the first session and the confusion it caused within your group. You were not alone (of course) in feeling confused here! It’s heartening to read that you and your peers figured out what to do – that’s part of the experience of group work – you should be proud that you all managed this well. Remember, however, always to ask for clarification if this happens again in any class… This applies to any work you’re asked to do. Do not suffer in silence.

From your own account – and those of your peers’ – I get a good impression of how you managed to catch up and create a very dynamic game using a standard 52 deck of playing cards. You account for how the game’s rules changed rapidly as you play tested it, adding and removing elements along the way.

The game has very high ambitions, it’s impressive that you kept pushing this a group and ended up with something that’s still a working prototype, quite a feat in under two weeks!

In the second section you move on to reflect on the reading that takes place around the workshops. It’s good to see here that you now distinguish games from ‘play’ – they are not identical. The literature is always difficult, especially the first time around. Read it again and it will make more sense. Reading more books will help, but re-reading what you’ve read already might be a better idea initially. Our University’s Institute for Academic Development offer some very useful resources on reading for academic purposes: https://www.ed.ac.uk/institute-academic-development/study-hub/learning-resources/reading You should consult them carefully. Pay particular attention to the following sections here:

– Making comparisons
    – Critical reading