Ke's Blog on Education Futures

Idea-2

This week while creating the ‘Intellectual Biography’ for the course of Interdisciplinary Future, it was as if the doors of my memory suddenly opened. I recalled many stranded ideals, half-hearted ideas, and aimless thoughts that make up so many light spots in my life. As best I could, I wanted to find out some better ideas, some needed changes in education field that were also based on my experiences.

During the supervision meeting last week, I was able to perceive that my first idea was not mature, which is less relevant in terms of future pieces and is difficult to narrow down the research scope. So I am going to propose another, hope be a better one here: how can minority languages (and, more generally, cultures) be sustained in local basic education?

-Why is it important?

First of all, the importance of language as a carrier of national culture cannot be overstated. In addition, as a Tibetan myself, it is a great pity that I can not speak Tibetan. Last week, I was chatting with one of my group member from another course and mentioned her regret of being an indigenous South African but only speaking English. In my hometown, another minority group, the Qiang, almost lost their language in this era because the children were not systematically learning and using it. This seems so out of place in an age that has the ability to record almost everything! Language preservation can certainly be acquired through informal learning: a natural process for the transmission of the “dominant language” in most areas. Children acquire their own language by talking to their parents at home or communicating to their friends. But a significant proportion of languages face a dilemma.

-How to solve it?

In response to this problem, I was thinking about whether there should be a place in the formal education for the transmission of these languages. I have carefully read the Study on Basic Education for Ethnic Minorities published by the Chinese government, which points out that the transmission of ethnic cultures and the promotion of unified basic education go hand in hand. This also shows that this problem needs to be and can be improved or even solved in basic education, i.e. primary and secondary school curricula. Therefore, I would like to consider improving/changing some subjects in the basic curriculum of primary and secondary schools in the future in order to meet the needs of language and even culture transmission in the ethnically inhabited areas.

-What needs to be done?

I will start a new blog to explain this part in detail, which will be used to fulfil the blog task 2.

Idea-2 / 观云望雨 by is licensed under a
« »
Idea-2 / 观云望雨 by is licensed under a