Week 5

Biomimicry

My digital model : turtle and common sailer

Referring to my last week’s catalogue, I choose to use a turtle and a Common sailer (a butterfly ) to make a hybrid. And I want to challenge myself by making a digital model for the first time. Lucky, the software is not hard to learn, so after times of practices and modify, I could eventually make a detailed hybrid.

reference found on google picture search:

Common Sailor - Encyclopedia of Life

Hawksbill Turtle | NOAA Fisheries

Performance drawings

These drawings involved our observation on movement among pedastrians and vehicles. The standing still buildings and the moving objects on the street form a contrasting scene, I think this illustrates the complexity for urbanism.

The 2 recordings:

I covered the process of three drawings in the first video, I have done these three with my groupmate. In the video, I used one drawing masking on top of the other, experimenting on the effect of overlaying, and I found the result was great; it feels like two people are wandering separately, and the scene they walk through is the same. They do not know each other, and there is no communication between them. Even if they walk in the same place, they see different scenery and have different feelings. Even so, the same path eventually brought them to meet together- Each appeared in the other’s field of vision.

The second one is a solo drawing of mine, I fouced on the static movement of pedastrains walking down staircases in a second (in a rainy day), which looks like they were dancing.  I was inspired by artist RUDOLF LABAN.