Week Six/ Conducting interview and analysing the results/ Start building the physical model

Physical model

I wanted to try laser cutting for the first time, so I used my CAD drawings and made some edits. Now, I have completed drawings ready to cut. I bought a plywood sheet for the shell and plan to use balsa wood for the interior pieces, which I will cut by hand. I did face some challenges in ensuring that all the pieces were cut to the same scale, but overall, it was a good learning experience.

Model at scale 1:50

The interview 

This interview is with my wife who suffers from fibromyalgia. Although she began experiencing symptoms of the disease in early 2017, she was not diagnosed until 2020, which is typical for fibromyalgia patients who often experience symptoms for many years before receiving a diagnosis. Due to pain, my wife had to stop working at the end of 2017, after having worked in customer service for almost seven years.

When working away from home, what types of environments do you find are good for your health?

There are two factors that influence my choice of a suitable workplace – physical and psychological. Physically, I would prefer a workplace without stairs, with large, open rooms. It should be quiet since noise affects me negatively. I prefer a sense of privacy because I need to stretch frequently, and I can’t stay in the same position for a long time.

Would having a bed at work help you to lie down and stretch when you need to?

While having a bed is helpful, I can work without one as long as the chair is comfortable and adjustable.

What kind of lighting is best for you to work comfortably?

I have light-sensitive eyes, so moderate lighting is preferable. Natural light is more comfortable than artificial light.

What does it mean when you say that you prefer your workspace not to be official and restricting?

I mean that the space should be warm, intimate, comfortable, and not similar to a corporate system, as it might make me feel nervous.

Is it important to you that the place of work is easy to get to and not near heavy traffic?

Yes, it is essential as the sounds of cars and engines and sitting in traffic for long periods are bad for my health.

You mentioned that you prefer a spacious workplace with privacy. Could you explain this?

I prefer an open workspace without too many doors and with partitions between me and other people.

I remember when we went on vacation and stayed in a log cabin near a lake, you felt better. Was this due to being in nature, or was it something else?

Yes, being in nature helps me to relax and feel comfortable. I enjoy being around plants and trees.

Please note that this interview is not applicable to all fibromyalgia patients, as the effects of the disease vary from person to person. This interview was translated from another language, and I have endeavoured to provide honest answers. Lastly, I would like to thank my wife for taking part in this interview with me.

Interview summary

From this interview, it can be deduced that individuals with fibromyalgia may have unique needs and preferences when it comes to their work environment. They may require a space that is physically and psychologically comfortable, with adequate lighting and minimal noise. They may also benefit from a space that allows for privacy and the ability to stretch frequently. Additionally, being in nature or a calming environment may provide relief for those with fibromyalgia. It is important to note that each person with fibromyalgia may have different symptoms and experiences, so their individual needs and preferences may vary.

Interview Draft

I have written the interview draft in my mother language because the interview was conducted with my wife, and it was more comfortable for us to communicate in a language that we both are skilled in

https://www.falconpools.co.uk/spa-pool-hot-tub-jacuzzi-difference/

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fibromyalgia/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354785

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fibromyalgia/self-help/