This week began by thinking about what image would best show our hotel, I initially liked the idea of the image being from the foyer which conveys that sense of isolating, peeking through to the main reception giving a glimpse of what’s behind closed doors. However I don’t think that this image shows of the main space enough so I need to reconsider what my final image will be. Because my space is more segmented it might work better to show a series of images like a storyboard to best show off the areas??

Below is one of my initial sketches for the lobby/foyer space, when you enter out of the lift the aim is to really create that feeling of isolating and not knowing what is behind closed doors an element of the film that represents Caleb’s arrival at the Ex Machina House. After sketching this out I realised that this wasn’t working with a single door as it did not create that feeling of a grand entrance and although the main aim is to represent the film it is also a boutique/luxury hotel so I did not feel like this was suitable and I will alter the design accordingly.

Initial sketch for the lounge area. Was aiming to incorporate the colour red into this space as I want this to reflect the scenes in the film when the house is locked down. This design is not working it feels clunky and does not fit with the minimalist, modernist characteristics that are needed for the space in order to represent the film correctly.

After some much needed inspiration I began by sketching out a new design for the lounge space. This sketch already has a much more minimalist feel to it and incorporating a stone table helps bring in other materials that are signigicant in the film. Shape and style of the sofa needs further development but I feel much more on the right track now.

Sketch of the guest experience when the doors open and they enter to the reception area. Plant area will separate the lobby from the lounge space. This area will be more about nature and replicating the feeling of arriving on the island surrounded by nature. Need to research materials that can be used within this space on the walls and floors to create this experience. Below is a more detailed sketch of the reception area once you have entered.

Laptop wall, will stop people on their laptops working from stealing the views, also keeps people working in a slightly different space, not affecting the social areas. Will create a stone wall here to mimic that of the wall in the film that is made of the stone from outside.  This will fit nicely with the views of the castle and the rock and stone that you can see looking out. The main space will be a mixture of glass, stone, wood with minimal furniture all elements that reflect key significance in the film.