Alanna’s Blog

Hello!

My name is Alanna and I’m from London. The Art I tend to gravitate and find myself encompassed in has always been Fine Art. Painting and drawing was always what media I found myself most comfortable and satisfied with. During school, I found ways to make these Art practices more modern and immersive; using different materials such as wooden blocks, plaster bricks and plates. I fell in love with hyper-realistic artists such as Edie Nadelhaft and Alyssa Monks and how they use the human body to convey such a raw and organic version of the human bodies and what is means to be human, and I would like to dedicate time into incorporating their delicate style into more immersive and installment projects.

However, after taking a year off I found myslef much more drawn to Photography. I didn’t have much experience with it except running around the house as a child using my Dad’s camera to photograph the furniture from different angles, which I’m sure he had fun having to delete millions of blurry photographs that took up all his camera storage. I joined my local area news article and became the photographer for their local news stories, which was essentually just photographing the bad traffic. Where I really would like to delve into is editorial and fashion photography. Tim Walker’s: Wonderful Things exhibition in the V&A is the exact work that I idolise. The surreal and beautiful quality of his photos inspired by childrens stories and dreams exposes how wacky and imaginative to can be with photographs that really leave people in awe. I want to take in the world around and add, change and transform it, like he achieves in his photographs.

»