Mise En Scene – Development 2.1

In previous projects I have researched the science behind the elements but I would like to take a more conceptual and physical approach with this part of the project.

I began by coming up with some words I associate with light. I wrote down some words I think best describe light without going into the science of it and focused more on how it makes you feel and the physicality of it.

I left space at the bottom to continue to add to it throughout the project. Very much inspired by Francis Alÿs’s ‘A Personal Repertoire of Possible Behaviour While Walking the Streets in London Town’ 

I decided to do this with the lost videos and sound clips I made in part one of the project. I can’t get the videos back but if I describe what heard in them, does it make it just as important/valid as the real thing? if not more? as it now has the theme of loss within it.

I like the idea of writing down something you experience in a specific place that no-one else could experience unless they were there at the exact same time in the exact same place, but even then they may pick up on different sounds than I did.

Writing the sounds/happenings down, I think leaves the viewer to imagine what they sounded like, what the lost videos looked like, creating a completely different experience every time. Which in hindsight may be better than the videos and audio clips ever where.

I like using text to give form to something formless. I've never worked with text before and I am excited to see where it develops. I do feel like the text is just the medium though and not the piece itself, I think what's not there is more important than what is.

I chose to type in web font instead of hand written because I wanted give a nod to the times we are in, where everything is done online at the moment. It also is an in-between in terms of physicality, something but nothing, like light.

Published by

Nicole Webberley

Intermedia Art student