During my time at New College I will be involved in a huge variety of different tasks, some that are completely new to me. My Job Description as a Modern Apprentice (Digital Marketing) says I will:

• Help to organise different 175th Anniversary events
  • Draft social media posts, web pages, newsletters, digital screen notices, to promote School and University news, events and activities
  • Draft and post event information in Eventbrite if required, and manage attendance lists
  • Source photographs to illustrate specific articles on the School’s website and social media
  • Produce posters for academic events, and notices for digital screens, using approved templates
  • Potential to film and edit short video clip interviews with students and staff
  • Data management using spreadsheets.

What will I learn?

• Interpersonal skills through communicating with various members of staff, students and alumni
  • Marketing, communications and alumni relations functions
  • Customer service skills
  • To work accurately and methodically with attention to detail.

The job description also says I will gain confidence in using digital communications tools and Microsoft Office systems in a professional environment, and by using my initiative within a team environment, developing problem-solving skills along the way.

As a Modern Apprentice I will also gain a qualification: a SQA Diploma in Creative & Digital Marketing, at SVQ level 6.

I have been already involved in a wide variety of tasks such as drafting and posting social media posts and digital screens, sourcing photographs for event promotions, filming and editing video clips. I am working with technology that I have never used before such as microphones and cameras, and I have attended a planning meeting with senior staff for the 175th Anniversary of New College in 2021.

A typical day lasts 9am-5pm with an hour for lunch.