My name is Rory Dunlop and I recently started as a Modern Apprentice (Digital Marketing) in the School of Divinity at the University of Edinburgh.

As I explain in my blog, during my sixth year of high school I wasn’t too sure about what I wanted to do in the future. I had good qualifications and exam results. It seemed as if College or University was my only option. However, I wasn’t too keen on the idea. Apprenticeships were mentioned at school and as I am a more hands-on (kinaesthetic) learner, on-the-job training seemed more appealing than sitting in a classroom again.

When I found the Apprenticeship posts that the University of Edinburgh was advertising, I applied for them straight away. I was lucky enough to be chosen to interview for the Digital Marketing Apprenticeship at the School of Divinity. After the interview I felt quite pleased with how it had gone (unlike others before!). I was about to start my journey as ‘New to New College’.

This blog charts my 18 month journey as a 17 year old member of staff who is ‘New to New College’.