Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

Three tips for taking care of your wellbeing at university

Priyanka at a restaurant table.Priyanka Kaushal shares three ways she keeps on top of her wellbeing while studying for a medical degree.

I’ve really enjoyed my time studying medicine so far, although it has obviously involved both ups and downs, and times when I have felt stressed or overwhelmed. Having said that, I think it’s important to remember that this is a normal part of any university degree and that it is possible to navigate challenging times with the right coping strategies and routines. In this blog, I’ll share some of the habits that have kept me on track during tough times.

The power of people
First off, it’s important to surround yourself with good people! At university, your friends can become a second-family. So far, I’ve been living with non-medics, which I think has really helped me gain perspective and think about life outside of my degree! Although it’s great to meet new people and have fun with friends, it’s also good to do some ‘boring’ stuff with them too. Tasks like getting up early, going to the library and working out can all become easier and more enjoyable if you have friends to join you!

Use alarms to create routines
Secondly, I would say that having a good routine is the key to maintaining your mental and physical health year-round. Never underestimate the basics: having a good sleep-schedule, eating well and keeping active are all integral to your wellbeing. Planning ahead can help you to keep on top of things even when life gets busy.  I try to keep a weekly routine in place by setting alarms before I need to get ready for bed, meal-prepping on weekends and booking gym classes in advance.

Pause and give gratitude
Finally, taking regular moments to pause and check-in on yourself can help you to be mindful of your wellbeing. At times when you’re not functioning at your best, you may experience physical symptoms like fatigue or headaches, or mental ones such as low mood or anxiety. Writing out your thoughts can be useful way to track and process your feelings. Previously, I’ve found that keeping a gratitude journal has helped me to focus on the positive side of things, and change the narrative of the day.

If you prioritise your mental health and wellbeing, then you’ll be prepared to face any challenge.