Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

The importance of thinking about our own mental health

Dean VillageHi, my name is Clare Bennett. For our second year SSC project this semester we have been writing blogs about our experience as medical students at the University of Edinburgh. I wanted to discuss wellbeing and mental health during lockdown.

When we think about health during the COVID-19 pandemic, we think about physical health. Words such as ‘pneumonia’, ‘acute respiratory distress syndrome’ and ‘virus’ pop up. But what about our mental wellbeing?

Awareness

In my opinion, it isn’t spoken about enough. I attended a workshop about having conversations about mental health with family and friends and it made me think about the word ‘awareness’. Just being aware could help a friend, family member or even a stranger. Such as, being aware of a change in your flatmate’s habits, behaviour and emotions. We spoke about the importance of checking in and asking ‘are you okay?’. This small action could turn someone’s day from bad to good.

Motivation 

Thinking about our own mental health, it is important to understand what helps you. I think about the word ‘motivation’. What motivates you to get up in the morning? What motivates you to watch that lecture? What motivates you to exercise? This is a question only you can answer. During this time, it is important to recognise that it is okay if a day goes by and you feel like you haven’t achieved anything.

Sourdough and flat dinners

Colinton Tunnel
Colinton Tunnel

Lockdown for me has helped me develop a passion for baking and cooking. With all this free time, I have (nearly) perfected the art of sourdough. I love cooking and sharing this with my flatmates, we share a meal together every evening. At university, our flatmates are our family, and we spend a huge amount of time together. The ritual of having dinner like a family is something I hope we will continue even when our busy lives return to ‘normal’.

The joy of walking

Exercise for me is also an important coping mechanism. I had a knee injury over the summer, and as a result had to stop running. I developed a new found love for walking instead! I realised that exercise doesn’t just have to be doing something that physically exerts yourself. I have spent a large amount of the third lockdown walking around, exploring the beautiful city we live in (see my fellow SSC2B group blogs on ‘Exploring Edinburgh’). One of my favourites has to be Blackford Hill, however I recently made the trip to Colinton tunnel in the snow. Despite nearly falling in the frozen over canal, it was well worth the long, chilly walk!

As a medical student I have realised the importance of caring for myself. If I can’t look after myself, how can I look after others? Sometimes you have to put your own mental health first, and it is okay to do so! Also, remember to check in with friends and family, especially during this time. When life returns to ‘normal’, or the world develops a new ‘normal’, we will bring with us the things we have learnt from our experiences over the past year.