Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

The graduate: Marianne Watters

The graduate: Marianne Watters

Head shot Marianne Watters in the labMarianne Watters graduated from her MBChB in 2017. Currently, she is a Wellbeing of Women Clinical Research Fellow and specialty trainee in Obstetrics and Gynaecology.

Tell us a bit about your time at university: any particular memories?

I particularly enjoyed my intercalated degree in Reproductive Biology. It was a steep learning curve but it sparked my interest in research. At the end of that year, I was part of a group who hiked the GR20 across Corsica for the “Edinburgh Friends of MSF Society.” I’d recommend grabbing opportunities that take you out of your comfort zone.

What have you been up to since graduation?

I moved to Glasgow for an Academic Foundation post and I had a great experience working at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. At this stage, I knew that I wanted to pursue a career in O&G and I submitted my speciality application. A lot of my friends were heading off to sunnier climes but going straight to specialty training was the right decision for me. I was delighted to accept a training post for O&G in South East Scotland and I’ve completed four years of training.

I was awarded a Wellbeing of Women Research Training Fellowship this year and I have taken time out of training for this post and to undertake a full time PhD.

Why did you choose obs and gynae as a specialty?

Obs and gynae is such a varied specialty. You develop skills in both medicine and surgery and have the option of staying general or becoming an expert in a particular field. A lot of the patients you meet in O&G are young and healthy and it might be their first experience of hospital care. Guiding them through that and providing treatment is very fulfilling.

Tell us a bit more about your research.

I had a fantastic personal tutor as a medical student and she put me in contact with an academic gynaecologist (Dr Jackie Maybin, who is now my PhD supervisor!) I spent a few weeks during summer working in the lab with Dr Maybin’s group and this experience gave me confidence to apply for an Academic Foundation post.

When I came back to Edinburgh for O&G training, I reached out to academic consultants for career advice and I decided to apply for PhD fellowship programmes. I am researching heavy menstrual bleeding and how menstrual fluid might be used to confirm heavy periods and underlying causes. I believe that we have lots of work to do in improving how we diagnose and manage menstrual disorders and research plays a vital role in this.

What do you enjoy most about being a clinical researcher?

I am really enjoying having dedicated time to think, read and write. It can be very challenging to find time for research when you work full time as a clinician, especially in a busy specialty like O&G. I am learning so many new skills from my research colleagues and I enjoy bringing my clinical perspective to the team.

Any memorable moments in medicine in your career to date?

As well as learning clinical skills and knowledge for your specialty, opportunities for self-development come along. I really enjoyed being a Chief Registrar in NHS Fife last year – I had a great mentor and picked up a lot that you can’t learn from a book!

Marianne Watters, in hiking gear, at the summit of a mountain.What are your aspirations for the future?

I aspire to be in a position where I can drive further developments in women’s health research. After I complete my Research Training Fellowship I will have (hopefully successfully) submitted my PhD thesis. I will then complete my clinical training (ST5-7) and will be applying for lectureship roles so that I can continue on a clinical academic career pathway.

What do you enjoy doing when you’re not at work?

I love running around Edinburgh or heading up north at the weekend to bag some munros. Going from a busy clinical rota to a full time PhD has given me a new appreciation of evenings and weekends!

Any advice for current medical students?

Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask people for advice. If you want to explore research opportunities or an academic career, then you will need help. Not everyone will want to be your mentor but when you find someone who is supportive, it makes a world of difference!