Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

My summer internship in Oxford’s Translational Research in Immunology Group

Year 2 medical student, Feruz spent her summer interning in the Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences, University of Oxford. She shares an insight into this valuable experience and encourages others to consider applying for the UNIQ+ graduate internship.

Portrait photo of year 2 medical student, FeruzHello everyone, my name is Feruz Ebrahim. I am a second-year graduate medical student at the University of Edinburgh, and I have always been eager to explore the multifaceted world of medicine. This summer, I had the unique opportunity to intern at the University of Oxford.

The UNIQ+ Internship Experience

Joining the Translational Research in Immunology Group (TRIG) at the Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences as a UNIQ+ graduate intern was an exhilarating experience. The UNIQ+ internship is an initiative by Oxford to provide graduate students with a unique research experience. My primary objective was to immerse myself in clinical research and gain insight into the day-to-day experiences of postgraduate researchers at an esteemed institution like Oxford.

TRIG aims to translate immunological research in areas such as transplantation, cancer, and autoimmunity to make a tangible difference in patient care and bridge the gap between labs and clinics. During my internship, I had the privilege of attending the lab meetings and it was truly enlightening. Being a part of these sessions provided me with valuable insights into the vibrant discussions, brainstorming, and eureka moments that make up the TRIG team’s work. It allowed me to gain a panoramic view of the diverse projects the group was invested in, which further fuelled my passion for clinical research.

My Project: A Deep Dive into Cutaneous Melanoma

Feruz presenting to colleagues during her internship.Guided by Mr. George Adigbli, a post-doctoral academic clinical fellow in plastic surgery, my internship journey was challenging yet rewarding. I’ve always been intrigued by the skin, and when it came to selecting a research project, primary cutaneous melanoma seemed like a natural fit. This type of skin cancer is the deadliest globally, and traditionally, its prognosis relies on Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy (SLNB). While SLNB is the standard method for predicting recurrence, it’s fraught with limitations including high rates of false negatives and a range of post-operative complications, such as lymphedema.

Driven by these concerns, I chose to focus my research on a more nuanced yet critical area—evaluating the effectiveness of gene-expression profile (GEP) tests. I carried out a systematic review and meta-analysis to evaluate the performance of gene-expression profile (GEP) tests in predicting the survival outcomes for stages I and II primary cutaneous melanoma patients.

Valuable skills for future research endeavours

Feruz in Oxford during her internship.Although my project is still ongoing, I’ve already gained a wealth of skills that I find invaluable. For instance, I was introduced to Covidence software, a tool I had never used before. This experience was both challenging and enlightening, teaching me efficient research techniques that I anticipate will be highly beneficial in my future work. Additionally, meeting Claire Coleman, a clinical librarian, was a valuable encounter. She guided me in crafting MeSH terms and improving my systematic search skills, filling in gaps in my prior knowledge. Overall, the skills I’ve acquired are not only relevant but also ones I am excited to apply in future research endeavours.

A notable personal insight during this project was meeting my supervisor, who provided me with a glimpse into the life of an academic clinician. This experience was both inspiring and grounding. Before this, I had the perception that there was a rigid line dividing clinical practice and academia. However, seeing my supervisor effortlessly blends the two worlds dispelled that notion. This experience has expanded my horizons regarding potential career paths.

I would strongly recommend that other students consider applying for the UNIQ+ graduate internship. The experience has been immensely rewarding for me, not just academically but also the amazing people you meet during the internship.

Find out more about the UNIQ+ graduate internship