Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

Intercalating in reproductive biology: Sara Raza

Sara RazaLooking back on my intercalation year, I can admit that it was quite a challenge and I was quite a novice. When I first stepped into the degree, the only thing I was confident about was knowing what a sperm and an egg do. My only knowledge about a microscope, was how to turn it on. It was evident that I was going to have to work hard this year and it definitely was not going to be a year that I could just ‘wing’. Nevertheless, I did not let my inexperience hinder me and if you feel like you are in the same boat, you should not let it either!

As one can appreciate, coming from a medical background means that you are accustomed to a clinical setting. I found myself having to start all over again and there was an element of having to re-teach myself how to navigate through the new academic year. Sadly, you cannot just simply reach for Davidson’s or look up the subject matter on YouTube.

Oddly enough, this works to your advantage as you become more receptive to any learning opportunity that comes your way. Even if that means having to spend your Friday nights voluntarily finding articles published in Nature to analyse just for the sake of it. It was during these moments where I met many skilled individuals.

I am grateful to my peers for taking in the ‘medic’ as one of their own and readily sharing their wisdom. I was able to make many connections with researchers in the realm of Reproductive Biology. It was inspiring to be able to hear about the latest advances in research in the field and novel innovations such as male contraception which at the time seemed inconceivable to me.

When choosing Reproductive Biology, there is a notion that students who choose this honours programme, want to become gynaecologists. Whilst there may be some truth behind this, it was quite the contrary for myself. As we progress in our careers, there is no doubt that most specialities may stumble across a reproductive disorder or two. With that being said, I feel that I acquired many valuable skillsets.

Being in an unknown territory ushers you on to rise up to challenges. You become able to handle pressure as you frantically tick off deadlines for coursework whilst simultaneously preparing for presentations and examinations. I truly believe that through hardships, one discovers their strengths and their real potential. It just takes patience and perseverance, and I must say that this degree instilled these virtues within me.

All those presentations in front of your cohort may give you knobbly knees and butterflies but when you look back, you will appreciate that they have transformed you into an eloquent speaker. If you do not see it immediately, you will thank the degree when you are having to present patient cases in multidisciplinary meetings or to the consultant on the ward. If anything, I think that my illegible medical student handwriting has somewhat become decipherable thanks to the written exams I have had to sit.

After spending countless hours and a few too many hot chocolates on my dissertation, I think it is safe to say it becomes your most prized possession. You finally realise why each year your Instagram feed is filled with photographs of your friends from other degrees, having photoshoots with theirs. (Yes, you definitely will become one of ‘those’ students). My dissertation provided me with a platform to converse with many fascinating individuals from different walks of lives and with differing opinions, whilst I was interviewing them, and this is an experience that I will always look back fondly on.

All in all, I would advise you to fully immerse yourself in your degree as before you know it- the year will be over. Most people usually focus on the stark differences between intercalation and medicine, but one thing is common in both degrees and that is that a smiling face will take you far. Do not be shy to ask for help and when the going gets tough, just remember that it is perfectly okay to watch that Netflix series you have been holding off.

Finally, do not be disheartened if you do not get your first choice; Reproductive Biology was not mine. It may not be what you want but, in some way, or another it will become exactly what you need!