Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

Intercalating in immunology: Lydia Zioupos

Shot of Lydia and a friendFor my intercalated degree, I chose to study Immunology. When choosing an intercalation in second year, I was really torn between several honours programmes but I knew that I had found immunology really interesting in first year.  I was also keen to get some experience in a lab during my dissertation project and I also knew that this course would give me invaluable skills like reading and writing scientific papers and understanding research methods.

The start of the year was particularly challenging: going straight into senior honours with people who have already been doing biological sciences for three years was never going to be easy! However, the other students on the course (from both biological sciences and veterinary) were so lovely and welcoming. We were able to start the year with a trip to Firbush where we enjoyed outdoor activities and got to know the course organisers and other students. This trip really was a highlight for me!

The workload was greater than first and second year medicine with many lectures and papers to read each week, but you quickly adapt and as your knowledge of the subject grows it becomes easier. You have to be very motivated in your learning and I would say this is why it is important to ensure that you intercalate in a subject that you find really interesting! I was able to do my honours project in cancer research and I was excited to have a project that I could relate back to medicine.

I learnt so much being immersed in a lab for three months and drawing together your data to write your dissertation gives you such a great sense of achievement- even when there are difficulties due to COVID.

Immunology is relevant to so many medical specialties such as oncology, rheumatology, transplant surgery and many more. On top of this, I gained academic skills which will undoubtedly be helpful in my career.

My tip to younger students picking their intercalation would be to talk to medics in the years above and get a good idea of what each course is like. This is really the only way to know if this course is for you. Overall, this year is such a good opportunity to become immersed in a subject outside of medicine so after you make your decision, just get stuck in and enjoy!