Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

Exploring Edinburgh: a med student’s guide to the city

Jemima, smiling, with a mountain peak in the backgroundHi, I’m Jemima, a fourth-year medical student from Kent in the South of England. After living in Edinburgh for three years, I feel incredibly lucky to call it my home. It’s the perfect student city, and I’m excited to share some of my favourite spots with you.

Why I love Edinburgh

When you are about to spend six years at university, you want to enjoy the city you’ll be living in. Fortunately, Edinburgh has a vibe that’s hard to find elsewhere in the UK. It’s large enough to offer endless opportunities yet small enough to feel like you can get to know the whole city. One of my favourite things about living here is how most places are within walking distance – whether it’s your friends, cute cafes, the beach, or even the iconic Arthur’s Seat, nothing is more than 20 minutes away (don’t hold me to that!). As you explore the city on foot, you’ll stumble upon hidden gems you might never have discovered otherwise.

Iconic landmarks

While Arthur’s Seat is a must-climb (and said to be bad luck if you don’t), I’ve found that Calton Hill offers an equally, if not more stunning, view for a lot less effort. Located in the city centre, Calton Hill is perfect for a quick walk, especially just before sunset. Bring a thermos of tea, wrap up in a woolly hat (the Edinburgh wind never fails to surprise me), and enjoy the view of Edinburgh as it twinkles at night – it’s a sight that never gets old.

The coffee scene

With a vast array of independent cafes, coffee in Edinburgh is a cultural necessity. A friend and I have made it our mission to find the best cinnamon buns in the city, and our list keeps growing. Some of our top picks near campus include Argyle Place, Room & Rumours, and Origins.

Meanwhile, when the temperature drops below 15 degrees (which happens to be most of the year in Scotland!), nothing beats an Uplands Roast hot chocolate. Located just next to the library in the Meadows, it’s made with real chocolate and topped with toasted marshmallows – the perfect way to recharge from an afternoon at the library.

Walkers hiking on a trail, with a dramatic sky.Outdoor adventures

As someone who loves the outdoors, I can’t get enough of Edinburgh’s proximity to the Scottish countryside. This year alone, I’ve gone skiing in the highlands, walked the Fife coastal path, and camped at Loch Lomond. Make the most of your Young Scot card to explore the rest of Scotland with free bus travel – there are so opportunities right on your doorstep.

Closer to home and just five or six km from central campus, is Portobello beach. I highly recommend braving the North Sea for a swim, followed by a slice of pizza from the iconic Civ’s Slice. Not much further afield, about a 30-minute bus ride away, are the Pentland hills. Offering views over the city, and a chance to say hello to some highland cows, it is the perfect day out.

Other highlights

And finally, a med student’s guide to Edinburgh wouldn’t be complete without a mention of Dolly the Sheep at the National Museum of Scotland (free entry!).

I’ve absolutely loved my three years at Edinburgh so far, and I hope you’ll come to love it as much as I do!