Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

Farewell to Edinburgh

Farewell to Edinburgh

Student Baran sitting on a wall smiling, behind a meadow of flowers. Hi! I’m Baran, a Year 6 medic who will be graduating in July and moving to England to start work as an FY1 shortly after.

It feels strange to say that the last six years have flown by, especially given that at times it felt like a neverending trudge of exams and placement, but standing on the other end of the journey, the time truly has passed quickly.

Though I am excited (and of course a little apprehensive) to take this next step, my last few months in Edinburgh have been bittersweet. There are many things that I’m certain I will find myself missing in the years ahead.

Six years of (mostly) hard work
A group of smiling students, assembled on a stage, smiling for the camera. While I will probably not miss those late nights in the library puzzling over passmed questions, I will surely miss the camaraderie of medical school. It has been wonderful to be a part of the community of my years’ cohort throughout university. There have been many fun events, balls, and projects such as the Y4 Medics Revue and the Y5 Medics Musical – it’s truly been a pleasure to be a part of!

From the dear friends I have had all the way from PBL in first year to those who have been made along the way through various classes, societies, and events, there are lots of people I will miss dearly when we all move away to our new posts.

Although studying hard has been tiring at times, I have enjoyed the various lectures, tutorials, and clinical placements that have taught me so much. While medicine is a career of lifelong learning, I will miss the comfort and security of learning in a university environment.

Trying out new things
University brings about so many new experiences that are so valuable! During my time, I have had the opportunity to join many societies – I have been a part of the Persian Society, the Friends of MsF Society, the Paediatrics Society and the MsC. I have loved being a part of these societies and the opportunities and connections that being a member provided.

I’m so glad to have taken part and will miss the memories that I have had – exploring and learning through being part of a university society greatly! My advice to anyone starting university – get stuck in! You never know what new things you will discover that you love.

The city itself
Atmospheric shot of an Edinburgh street at nightIt is hard to imagine anywhere more beautiful than Edinburgh after six lovely years here. I will definitely miss the beautiful buildings, the gorgeous green spaces, the scenic walks, and my bedroom’s stunning view of the Meadows at sunset.

Edinburgh is truly a perfect city with its mix of bustling night-life and year-round exciting events, balanced by the tranquillity of an evening spent walking up Blackford Hill.

So many of my days have been spent on the Meadows in the summer with friends making the most of some Scottish sunshine or bundling up warm to walk across town in the rain to explore a new café on the colder afternoons in winter.

I have so many fond memories on the many streets of Edinburgh that I will surely reminisce on when returning to visit.