Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

The Graduate: Chloe Scott

The Graduate: Chloe Scott

Selfie of Chloe in Guatemala, with palm trees in the background.Chloe Scott graduated from her MBChB in 2004. She works as a consultant orthopaedic surgeon.

Tell us a bit about your time at university: any particular memories?

I really enjoyed my time at Edinburgh University and made some really awesome friends. Particular memories include sitting in the back row in the Anatomy Lecture Theatre; working late in the bio-informatics lab during my Anatomy BSc; filming gibbons at the zoo for my biomechanics thesis; pulling all-nighters doing essays; skiving health and society on a Thursday morning after Potterrow on a Wednesday night; and of course 99p a pint in 1999.

I definitely had fun at university, but I also met many inspiring scientists and clinicians who cemented my interest in pursuing a career in orthopaedics and who encouraged me to be questioning.

What have you been up to since graduation?

I graduated in 2004 and after an anatomy demonstrating job in Leicester and a brief foray to Glasgow, I returned to Edinburgh for orthopaedic training and was appointed as a consultant  hip, knee and trauma surgeon at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh in 2017. Along the way came an MSc in Orthopaedic Engineering in Cardiff; an MD on partial knee replacements in Edinburgh; some travelling fellowships to the USA; a wife, three children; a love of operating and a real passion for orthopaedics.

Why did you choose orthopaedics/surgery as a specialty?

Orthopaedics has a lot going for it – happy patients, happy surgeons, lots of variation within it and lots of external opportunities. I love the mechanics of fixing bones and the implants we use for this. I love the mixture of surgery and engineering. I love the toys in the operating theatre and the buzz of really helping people with challenging problems using modern and ever-evolving techniques.

Tell us a bit more about your research.

My research started off mainly on outcomes of joint replacements but now focuses largely on the management of peri-prosthetic fractures and how we can leverage arthroplasty techniques to treat fragility fractures. I work closely with the School of Engineering on computational modelling of hip and knee implants and I am involved in a variety of national and internal collaborations on these topics.

What do you enjoy most about being a clinical researcher?

Answering clinically-important questions to improve the care for our patients. Being able to give opportunities and support to enthusiastic students and trainees is really rewarding and I firmly believe that lifting as you climb is in everyone’s best interest. I enjoy being involved in medical publishing and, of course, travel.

Any memorable moments in your career to date?

Many. But winning the Institution of Mechanical Engineers best biomedical engineering project award as a medic, and the Hunter-Doig Medal from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh were highlights.

What are your aspirations for the future?

To encourage more women into surgery in general and into orthopaedics specifically and to support and encourage a more diverse workforce by continuing to work with and support Pride Ortho and the Pride on Surgery Forum (PRiSM) in encouraging LGBTQ+ people into surgery.

What do you enjoy doing when you’re not at work?

I enjoy hanging out with my three children – the older they get, the more awesome they become! I cycle everywhere and enjoy hill-walking and skiing.

Any advice for current medical students?

Never be put off by other people’s opinions – if you want to do something, then go for it. Don’t get bogged down by projects that aren’t going anywhere. Medical training isn’t a race to the end – take opportunities along the way. Mentorship is incredibly valuable – if you find a good one, stay in contact!