Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

The graduate: Hannah Douglas

The graduate: Hannah Douglas

Dr Hannah Douglas is MBChB class of 2020 and currently working in Far North Queensland,  Australia.

Hannah wearing blue scrubs taking a selfie on her phoneWhat is your current role?

Resident Medical Officer in Cairns Hospital, Far North Queensland, Australia doing a rotational job during which I will work in accident and emergency, medicine, a rural hospital and surgery.

What have you been up to since graduation?

Two foundation years in South East Scotland. Two months locum in St John’s Hospital, Livingston emergency department. Then, since October 2022, I have been working in Cairns Hospital.

Tell us a bit about working overseas, the pros and cons? Why did you choose to do it?

I had always considered doing a year or two out of the NHS before starting a training programme as it logistically seems like the best and easiest time to do so and I knew I would want some form of break after my foundation years. My sister was also in Australia (a doctor too, one year older than me) so I really wanted to visit and be closer to her.

The pros are pretty obvious – better paid and better staffed for a start. Living in Cairns in particular, there is so much to do in the surrounding area so days off are so much fun. There are endless waterfalls and hikes and the Great Barrier Reef for diving and snorkeling, for example.

The only con so far has been being far away from family and friends. However, the community here has been so welcoming, and having my sister here, my partner and a couple friends I knew from home made the transition much easier.

How does working in Australia differ to your clinical training in the UK?

The medicine is of course very similar. However, I have seen things here that we never get at home such as snake bites, post -diving decompression sickness and weird and wonderful infections!

Compared to if I was working in the NHS currently, as someone 2.5 years post graduating, we generally have less responsibility here, which is quite a nice break, but there is also scope to step up to a junior registrar role (which I will be doing for one job) to also have a chance to push yourself and develop.

Would you consider working in other countries too? If so, any more in mind?

Hannah wearing black wetsuit and yellow snorkel under the waterI’m currently planning to. I sadly only speak English so my options are limited a bit by that. It was very admin heavy applying to get registration here in Australia and so I want to maximise having that, hopefully locuming around to see more of the country such as Tasmania, Western Australia and the Northern Territory.

How did you find the transition from uni to FY? Any advice for current students?

I found the transition challenging but appropriately so. I was lucky enough to graduate and start work early in 2020 due to COVID so I started work at a time when the NHS was very well-staffed. This gave me a couple of months as an “interim FY1” to find my feet and made starting as a fully fledged FY1 a little easier. I also stayed within South East Scotland to do foundation so it was nice to at least know where things are in the hospitals.

My advice would be to always ask questions. It’s simple but better to ask to clarify something than to assume or guess and get it wrong. Everyone has been where you are and if they do not offer compassion, that is their failing not yours.

Also, try and find someone you can rely on. Both medical and non-medical friends are crucial. You need to rant about the specifics of the job but you also need non-medical friends to remind you there is more to life than work!

What career path are you planning and why?

Hannah sitting on a rock with a valley of trees and cloudy sky in the backgroundI am most likely going to apply for GP training in two years time. I had a GP job as an FY2 and I really enjoyed it. It was very varied which was interesting and communication and organisation are two of my strengths so I feel it suits me well. It also will give me the opportunity to do more in areas I find interesting, such as women’s health, sexual health and palliative care, if I wish.

What are your aspirations for the future?

To have a job I enjoy. Asides from that, I don’t really have any clear aspirations at this time. I’m just enjoying working and I want to keep it that way as long as I can.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I really enjoy being outdoors – hiking, travelling, water sports. I also love going out for meals and meeting up with my friends.

How do you unwind after a busy day at work?

I like to exercise and or socialise in some capacity.  Ideally both if I have time.

Advice for current medical students?

Obviously, it is important to work hard and pass your exams but ultimately there is so much more to being a good doctor than getting the best exam results. I know so many good doctors who got such a variety of exam results. Two of the most important things a doctor can be are safe (knowing their limits and when to ask for help) and kind.

It’s also important to remember that there is more to you and your life than being a medical student/doctor. You have to maintain friendships and hobbies, these will be crucial as you move through medical school and working life.