Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

HCP-Med student stories: Ayesha

HCP-Med student stories: Ayesha

Profile shot of Ayesha, overlooking a lakeHi, my name is Ayesha Ali. I am a Year 1 HCP-Med student and I work as a radiographer based in Glasgow.

A HCP-Med e-flyer was initially circulated to the department through email by our sector superintendent radiographer in early 2020 which sparked my interest and I started looking into HCP-Med and other graduate entry medicine courses. HCP-Med appealed to me as it was possible to both study and work part-time and was a more suitable option for myself compared to a full-time medical course. After being offered a place on the course, I could not be more grateful to have the opportunity to learn more about the human body.

Balancing work and study

Working part-time and studying has had its challenges, particularly trying to accommodate all aspects of university (placements, classes, deadlines etc) along with personal and professional commitments. However, it has been an enjoyable and interesting experience, providing a lot of variety to the week and being able to cover a lot of content to date.

I have found my study method varies depending on the subject but it always seems to orientate around Anki (an online flashcard app that uses spaced repetition algorithms to help prevent natural forgetfulness). I could not praise this app enough and I would recommend to all who are on an intense content-heavy course (plenty of YouTube tutorials to guide anyone through using it).

I still use a notepad and pen out on placement, but I tend to write up notes on my iPad for ease of access across devices, to keep all notes in one place and saves a few trees by not printing out as much.

Anatomy can initially feel very overwhelming. However, using the image occlusion on Anki is an absolute blessing. I would also recommend forming a group where others may also be struggling with anatomy (or any other topic for that matter) and try and tackle one section each (head & neck, lower limb, upper limb, etc) by watching through lectures at double speed again, making a quick revision guide/summarising key points/images and making a quiz to test that knowledge to help your fellow students learn the section you have focused on and, in the process, remembering a lot yourself.

These are just some suggestions. Please do not feel you need to go out and buy an iPad or use something specific: I would stress that everyone learns in their own way and what works for you might be different for the next person. In all honesty, at the beginning of the course I struggled with the sheer volume and at times still do. However, after trying a few different techniques I feel more confident knowing what works best for me and have established that routine since January.

GP placements

GP placement has been fascinating (especially since I have never worked in primary care) and useful in applying knowledge into practice and improving clinical skills.

It’s one of my favourite parts of the course as I am a practical learner, and the hands-on experience is what you will remember most. I also could not praise my GP enough for putting up with all my questions, and being very patient and an excellent teacher (struck gold there).

Tutorials are structured sessions where the focus will be on specific topics (e.g., OA, chest pain, shortness of breath) and sit-in sessions are useful for showing what a day at the practice might bring in which can be very varied. I get involved as much as I can to get the most out of the experience and with the mindset that this will set the groundwork for the future.

Support on the programme

The tutors on the course have been exceptionally helpful and teach the content very well. The tutors are easy to contact over emails and often do a Q&A after tutorials for any questions about the course or content, which is always appreciated.

In terms of dedicating time for studying, I usually have three days focused on getting through content. However, it may vary depending on exposure to certain topics from undergraduate or I may have to spend more time on other sections I have not come across at all e.g., pharmacology. Tutorials and lectures are scheduled on Thursdays, usually finishing by 5pm.

Find out more about the HCP-Med programme:

HCP-Med website