Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

Student Wellbeing Team: Hello from Alison!

Alison ScottHello. I am Alison Scott, the Director of Student Wellbeing for the medical school. I have been in post since December of last year.

I graduated from Dundee university (Edinburgh rejected my application to study medicine!) and I have worked in obstetrics and gynaecology in Dundee, Aberdeen and Edinburgh. I am currently a consultant gynaecologist working in sexual health in Chalmers. My remit is sexual healthcare for women who have high and complex needs and who may struggle to access mainstream care eg those with substance misuse problems, those affected by homelessness, those who have been in prison and those involved in prostitution.

I am very lucky to have a varied and rewarding career. The women I see as patients have lots of health and social issues to cope with. Most have complex post traumatic stress disorder following adverse childhood experiences. I truly believe that healthcare needs to be holistic and inclusive and link with social care services to provide for women’s needs. It is important that services provide what people need and don’t expect people to fit with services.

One day a week, I work with Scottish Government on the development of a Women’s Health Plan for Scotland. This is really exciting and will significantly change the way care is delivered by prioritising those who have barriers to receiving healthcare. It has been very interesting to work in government and bring together the knowledge and experience of women and those providing their care in order to develop the plan.

I currently chair the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare in Scotland which has given me some insight into the workings of a large organisation. I have learned about representing the needs of members in Scotland and have lobbied MSPs and civil servants to improve the profile of healthcare for women.

Outside of work

Alison and family
With the family

I am married to Charles who is a consultant in intensive care. We have four children. Our sons are at university (both studying medicine). One of our daughters has learning difficulties and the other is studying for her Highers. We have a spaniel called Luath, an elderly cat called Ruby and a new kitten (Sora) – I think we own the dog but the cats, well they definitely employ us!

You may notice similarities in my bio to Kirsty’s! It is honestly not a prerequisite to have an MRCOG, a dog and be married to an anaesthetist in order to work in wellbeing in the medical school!! Kirsty and I were trainees together and have the same outlook and aspirations for the care and wellbeing of medical students at Edinburgh.

Particularly at this time, it is really important to ensure that we are trying to keep well and healthy. For me, that means regular walking and online Zumba classes (not a pretty sight for my neighbours, I am sure!). I enjoy cooking and making quilts for creative output and occasionally knit things for my family which they never knew they didn’t need.

As a woman in medicine it is challenging to balance the needs of my family, my work and myself and I rely heavily on my female friends who are in the same situation for support and a good laugh. Long phone calls and Zoom suppers with my mates have kept me grounded and lifted my mood.

Student wellbeing

I became involved with admissions to medical school a number of years ago and then progressed to being a personal tutor which I loved. I enjoyed getting to know the students I was allocated, supporting them through medical school and negotiating the curve balls which life throws at us from time to time. I was also part of the Fitness to Practice committee for a while.
When this new post was advertised, I was really keen to increase my involvement in supporting students. We have a great team and are enthusiastic about developing and providing bespoke support for all students.

These are tough times and we hope that students at Edinburgh Medical School can easily reach out and be supported by the wellbeing team, whatever the need or problem. Hopefully by next semester, more of you will be in Chancellor’s and can pop in and say hi. Cups of tea always available!

Visit the Student Wellbeing and Support pages