Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

A comic insight into our medical student lives

Cheeky Medics group illustrationHi, we’re the Cheeky Medics (@cheeky_medics), a group of second year medics making (hopefully!) funny comic strips as part of our SSC2b project.

The aim of the project is to have a reflective journey and we’re hoping to bring a smile to everyone seeing our posts and poke a bit of good-natured fun at the experience of being a medical student. Please see below for a bit more about us, why we chose this project, what we have got out of it, and what we hope others will get out of it too.

Hi, I’m Izzy

I’ve been really enjoying this project as art has always been a hobby of mine and It has been nice to be able to combine that with medicine and share it with the rest of the cheekymedics and everyone that’s been interacting with our posts. It has also been pretty great that my procrastination doodles actually have a purpose now! I hope that this project will allow us to relate to each other about some of the funny bits about being medical students.

Hello, I am Emma

Cheeky medics comic stripI spent my GCSE years poring over my art and spending way too much time rubbing out. I’ve never previously drawn comics however it took very little persuasion to do so as they are so fun. Like most medical students I have seen my fair share of medical memes, so I have enjoyed creating my own memes in a different medium than is commonly seen. Technology has never been my forte and so it has been a steep learning curve, but everyone has been so supportive of my terrible attempts at digital art and tried to help me, so it has improved!

Hi, I’m Saloni

I’m not the most artistic person (the most I can usually manage to draw are stick figures) and I much prefer writing. So, why comics? I was drawn (pun intended) to the idea of making medical school a more relatable experience. It’s so easy to feel like you’re alone in your struggles. I liked the challenge of expressing a hundred words’ worth of content into a few panels. Plus, I think weird-looking art is rather endearing and attention-grabbing. I hope our project elicits eye-rolls (out of fondness!) and that sharp exhale out of your nose when you find something mildly funny.

Cheeky medics comic strip

Hi, I’m Saman

I’ve had a lot of fun creating these comics for our SSC this semester. It’s been nice to do something different yet related to medicine alongside our curriculum and since I have always enjoyed drawing but haven’t really done much for a while, this was a perfect opportunity! I can’t remember the last time I made a comic strip, so I learned a lot about digital art and social media through this experience, along with the rest of the group. This has also helped me to unwind from the academic work and hopefully the relatable experiences portrayed in our comics will help other fellow students too to not feel alone in their experiences!

Cheeky medics comic strip

Hey, I’m Hathsu

I can’t honestly say that I’ve ever been an artist at heart but this project has certainly been a novel experience for me. The creative process has been rather interesting due to the need to balance the short, digestible format of a webcomic with the complex and humorous experience that is life as a medical student. I have enjoyed the opportunity to work on a non-academic project for the past few weeks and it has been a fun, positive way to vent the little.

The SSC2B group on pancake day
Us on pancake day