Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

Online learning – a subjective review by a Year 2 medical student

Jika working at her deskMy name is Jika Nyirenda and I’m a second year medical student. For our SSC2B project we have been relfecting on life as medical student over the past year. I thought I would share a review based on my experiences from online learning.

Advantages:

1. Watch lectures at your own pace

As a slow typer I’ve definitely benefited from being able to pause to keep up with writing my notes. It has also been handy having the option to rewind, to process complicated topics or just go back because I got distracted and zoned out! I love that pre-recorded lectures give you the option to tackle them at whatever rate you want. My approach has been pretty variable from watching all the lectures for the week on Monday to putting them off for as long as possible – which leads me on to my next advantage.

2. More freedom as to how you manage your time

Being able to watch lectures at whatever time of day you feel like means that you can make your routine work for whenever you’re most productive and make your work fit around other activities. In first year, I found that non-medic friends had such different schedules that it was hard to find times to meet up that suited us both; whereas now it’s much easier to make plans to go for a coffee or a walk and just schedule my work around that. It also allows you to be adaptable – I’ve been able to put my lectures to the side and go for impromptu trips to the beach and sunset trips up Arthur’s Seat when the weather has been unexpectedly good.

3. Work from the comfort of your own home

There is something quite nice about being able to watch lectures in a hoodie and sweats with a blanket wrapped around you and a cup of tea in your hand. I definitely appreciated not having to walk into uni on cold winter mornings for 9am lectures.

4. No requirement to be in Edinburgh

Not having in person lectures has meant that some students have been able to save the expense of accommodation by living at home. It also has given students more time with family/flatmates (though that might not be a positive for everyone!).

Disadvantages:

Jika's laptop and desk with a cup of coffee
My desk and a cuppa

1. Willpower and motivation

Most people I’ve chatted to about online learning have mentioned struggling with motivation at times. It can be difficult not to be distracted when your bed, sofa and/or TV are right there, and it is up to you to set your routine. For me, the most hazardous thing has been working in such close proximity to the kitchen – stopping myself from wandering through for a snack every 5 minutes has been the biggest test of will power!

2. Lockdown confinement

It is ironic that the one time that uni work has never been more flexible is also the time where the least activities are available and travel restrictions are in place. It can be boring and draining spending so much time sat in one place on your computer. At the beginning I definitely found it weird adjusting from being really busy to having to make a conscious effort to leave the house everyday, but after a bit of getting used to it I’ve actually found I have more time than ever to go for walks and runs etc.

3. Lack of social interaction with peers

Similarly to lockdown confinement, it’s strange only interacting with each other over Collaborate or Teams. There’s not the usual chat before lectures and tutorials get going that gives you the opportunity to catch up. Everyone’s social circles are smaller at the moment and it’s been an adjustment getting used to seeing less of each other.

4. Potentially detrimental to communication skills and practical experience

As medical students, having our practical sessions postponed until later on in our training has felt a bit like we are missing out on developing key skills. Check out Clare’s blog for more on how online learning may have affected medical students’ potential as future doctors.

My 5 top tips for online learning:

1. If you can, try to separate your workspace from your chill place
2. Make a timetable at the start of the week
3. Keep your weekdays separate from your weekends
4. Be adaptable and embrace the flexibility of online learning
5. Get some fresh air everyday