Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

Student wellbeing during lockdown: A Year 2 medic insight 

Photo of meganHi, my name is Megan Taylor and I’m a second year medical student. As part of our SSC project for this semester, our group is writing blog posts on our experience of being medical students at Edinburgh University. This is my second article, and it will focus on wellbeing.

As I’m sure most of you are aware, medicine is a very demanding course and career. When you add on the new circumstances involving COVID-19 and social distancing it can become an isolated and challenging time for so many students. This is why our group decided to focus on the important subject of wellbeing, as maintaining a good mental wellbeing can help you deal with the stresses associated with the course.

During this article I’m going to discuss a couple of the ways I’ve taken to looking after my wellbeing during lockdown.

Move your body!

Megan doing some yoga
Yoga practice at home

In the words of king Julian, ‘We like to move it move it’ (I really hope you got the Madagascar reference). We all know exercise is promoted for its physical benefits and you often see adverts where exercise programmes promise rippling muscles and a set of abs to die for.  But today that’s not why I want to talk about exercise, I want to talk about the mental health benefits. Endorphins. These chemicals released by the body when you exercise, interact with receptors in your brain to trigger a positive feeling in the body.

For many people the way they exercise has had to change due to Covid-19 restrictions, and I am no exception. In first year, my flat was directly opposite a yoga studio which I attended regularly but unfortunately, I have not been able to go back there since March 2020. As an alternative I took to YouTube!

Not only has yoga helped me stay active over lockdown but it has also assisted with my mental health. After each session I feel calmer and more relaxed. Yoga is so easy to work into your daily life as there are so many videos online, of varying lengths, to fit your schedule.

Turn off the screen

Megan's sewing machine
My sewing machine

Pre-COVID after a long day I loved to relax by popping on a movie or an episode or two of Call the Midwife. Now with all classes online, my day is spent with my eyes essentially glued to my computer. So, after calling it a day with work, the last thing I want to do is stare at a screen for another second. Instead, after being inspired by a fellow group member, Hazel Mason (if you are keen to read her article on wellbeing, it’s called ‘Looking after your wellbeing as a medical student’), I have taken up sewing. I was never the most artistically gifted but there’s something nice about being a little creative for a change and I have made some hats and a couple of outfits for my friends.

Joys of journaling 

In such challenging times it can be hard to acknowledge the good aspects of life. In the neurology section of the course, we are told that our brain is programmed to remember negative memories more easily that positive ones. At times I have found lockdown to be quite isolating and when my mind starts to wander, it’s easier to think of the pre-Covid things I miss rather than notice the positives around me.

As I started the new year with this neurology fact sitting in the back of my mind, I decided to try journaling for the first time. Each night before bed I compile a list which comprises of happy experiences, things I had found to be fun or just silly things that made me smile. Even though it may appear cheesy at first and I slightly feel like a 13-year-old girl again, it’s a very quick task that I can definitely say has boosted my mood and helped me realise that I experience a lot more positive things than I first anticipated.

When in doubt walk it out

Enjoying the view on a walk around Holyrood Park

One of the first things I noticed about lockdown was my lack of fresh air. I was used to running to and from lecture theatres but now I’m living a more sedentary life. I have to actively go out on walks which was unusual at first but now I love it. It’s a great way to get out of your stuffy bedroom and soak up some sunshine (or rain – this is Scotland after all!). If you have a likeminded friend, you can share a socially distanced catch up. If not, it is an ideal time to call a friend for a catch up. Another great opportunity whilst out walking is to listen to a podcast, and I will leave a list of recommendations below.

Some medicine and health related podcast:

• Sawbones: A marital tour of misguided medicine
  • Delicious ways to feel better
  • Plant proof – evidence based nutrition
  • Medical mysteries
  • Dr Death

Some non-medic related podcasts (you gotta take a break sometimes!):

• Call of the wild – Sir David Attenborough is a guest on the first episode!
  • Encyclopaedia womannica
  • The vanished podcast
  • My favorite murder with Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark

(I have not listened to all episodes of these podcasts, so apologies if you find one that’s a bit rubbish)

In short, I’ve had to make a few adjustments to look after my wellbeing during lockdown. In this blog I hope I’ve given you some useful suggestions that you could consider implementing if you feel you are currently struggling with your own wellbeing.